Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ALL Health Data

I recently took my iPhone 6 into the Apple store for a warranty replacement. The front camera shifted significantly and there was a cluster of dead pixels on the right side of the screen. I was told that I needed a backup because of the replacement, and I informed the genius that I had made a full iTunes backup of my phone before I can into the store. At home I restored the new phone from the recent backup and everything went smoothy except all of my data within the health and activity apps was missing. This is not just a week worth of apple watch data but all of my data from workouts and heart rate readings I had been collecting since the health app was released. After several discussions with Apple support the confirmed reason as to why the data did not transfer was because the backup was not encrypted. In order for the health and activity app data to stored in a backup the backup needs to be password protected. This is a courteous heads up, I wish Apple would have done the same.

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:29 AM

That information is provided in support documents regarding backups, such as this one. About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup.

An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks
    You can back up this content using Transfer Purchases in iTunes.
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Health and Keychain data
    To back up Health and Keychain data, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.

Find your iTunes backups on your Mac or PC and learn to delete backups that you don't need.

My emphasis added.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Jbird1216

That information is provided in support documents regarding backups, such as this one. About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup.

An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks
    You can back up this content using Transfer Purchases in iTunes.
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Health and Keychain data
    To back up Health and Keychain data, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.

Find your iTunes backups on your Mac or PC and learn to delete backups that you don't need.

My emphasis added.

Sep 15, 2015 8:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Unfortunately for me, I'd stopped using encrypted backups before I got the Apple Watch, because they frequently get corrupted and cause syncing to get stuck. Today I restored my iPhone as part of a carrier-approved SIM unlock, and ended up losing ALL my health and activity data from the watch. So frustrating to lose all that data. When will Apple fix iTunes' many syncing problems?

Sep 15, 2015 8:42 PM in response to bufflehead

I guess a lot of it would depend on what you describe as iTunes syncing problems. The only reason that I have ever experienced with iTunes anytime in the past was a disconnect with syncing my Outlook calendar from my computer. I got that easily repaired and haven't had trouble since. You need to identify and resolve any individual problems you encounter. The saving of secure data in the backup has always been dependent on the encrypted backup.

Sep 15, 2015 9:08 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I'm glad you've never experienced any syncing problems, ChrisJ4203. That, however, doesn't mean your experience is universal. There are documented issues where simple things such as having a duplicate song title (for example, when the same song is on two compilation albums) will cause iTunes syncing to fail -- leaving the user without a backup. Or syncing will take forever -- up to an hour. It seems to be more common when there are more apps and music on a device. Encrypted backups seem much more likely to become corrupted, in my experience and others'.

My point is that when saving ANY health data is dependent on an encrypted backup, Apple ought to ensure that encrypted backups are working. I'd also love to choose what's "secure" and what's not. To me, my steps and workouts are not so private that they must be encrypted by default.

Sep 15, 2015 9:16 PM in response to bufflehead

For as many people that may experience problems, you will find numerous others that have not. I don't believe you can universally say that iTunes has issues either. Most of the time when there are issues they can be traced back to individual computer issues. The encryption is not based solely on steps, but on other Hipaa information that you would not want shared. Feedback to Apple goes here http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate subject area.

Sep 18, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Jbird1216

I wish I would have read this before I did my iOS 9 upgrade or even read about backing up my watch. I just got my Apple Watch last week and the last thing I expected was to have to encrypt my back up. It would have been nice if the sales associate at the Apple store would have stressed this bit of information while I was making my purchase.

Sep 17, 2016 6:17 PM in response to Jim Bailey

Jim Bailey wrote:

If you have an iCloud backup, you could try that. Supposedly, Apple recently enabled backing up of health data with iCloud.

iCloud has always backed up Health data. And it works quite well. My iOS 10 update failed to to human stupidity (mine). I restored from my iCloud back up and only lost the 8 hours of data between the last back up and the restore.

Lost ALL Health Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.