Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compressor mpg 2 files sizes very large

I have just begun using FCP 7 and its version of Compressor for years.

I have produced two school videos on FCP X, (the latest updated version) and have to output to a file type to be taken to make a dvd from it.

Please correct me if there is any reason why this shouldn't be a MPEG 2Transport Stream from Compressor 4.1.2.

When I put out either file, both about 1.5 hours long they are about 8 GBs which surprised me. Why wouldn't they be closer to 4 GB since not everyone presses DL DVDs?

I feel the old compressor had more controls over how to handle the files to compress the size more. I oftenwent out to DVDSP and authored in there and it was rather idiot proof knowing that you could set that its a DVD and it HAD to fit.

How can I get this file smaller without killing its quality?

Thanks in advanced.

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:30 AM

9 replies

May 2, 2015 7:34 AM in response to froghead2

DVD uses MPEG-2 elementary stream with separate compressed audio that's muxed into one file when the DVD is encoded. Transport stream is an acquisition and broadcast delivery format. In Compressor there is a separate setting for DVD with elementary MPEG-2 and Dolby Digital audio. Hour and a half is long of a single layer disc. A dual layer disc would allow a higher bit rate.

May 2, 2015 7:50 AM in response to froghead2

froghead2 wrote:

I feel the old compressor had more controls over how to handle the files to compress the size more. I oftenwent out to DVDSP and authored in there and it was rather idiot proof knowing that you could set that its a DVD and it HAD to fit.

There really is very little difference in using Compressor 3.5 > DVD SP and the way you would use Compressor 4.2 > DVD SP. Both versions use presets that output the two elementary streams that Tom mentioned. The Compressor 4.2 interface and some of the labels are a bit different, but both 4.2 and 3.5 want a mixed input file and then will output the separate audio and video for the authoring application. Also, both versions give the option of encoding and burning a DVD directly from Compressor.

Russ

May 2, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

Under MPEG there is 2 Program Streams and 1 Transport Stream options, so you are saying none of those are for DVD pressing?

There is the DVD output option and I did that as well, but it was large off hand I don't recall how large and the computers with them are not nearby for me to check. My thought was that if I went and did the Transport Stream the company that is pressing them could reencode them if need be but I am worried they are going to crush them. Since they are shot in a dark setting anyway I don't want them too compressed

I am in India doing this and its tough for me to get any real information from vendors because of the communication issues.

Before we (as in the world, not you and and I, well perhaps you....) were compressing feature length movies onto a single layer dvd just fine, so why is 1.5 hours a problem? I had done many 1.5 hour dvd authoring with DVDSP, and was very happy with the results. I miss, really miss, being able to do this from end to end other then the pressing.

Any suggestions for a DVDSP replacement?

May 2, 2015 9:48 AM in response to froghead2

There were more DVD presets in the older version…"Best quality 90 minutes", and s forth. But regardless of the preset, we could always adjust the bit rate in the encoder to your liking.

User uploaded file

Now it's all in an integrated window and there is only a single preset to start the adjustments from. But even though it looks a little different, the flexibility of the tools is pretty similar.

User uploaded file

Good luck with your project.

Russ

May 2, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, I do want to thank you for your never ending responses to the community as a whole.

I am an older timer Apple employee, (which I haven't been for years) but I know your value to the community.

I did out put the Create DVD and it gave me a disk image, and a very large one as well. Since I am India and it goes through two set off hands and the communication concerns, I am worried about giving them the easiest and properly sized file that I can.

The disc image does open to the TS files, do you think I should just give them the TS files or the disc image?

compressor mpg 2 files sizes very large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.