Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop bouncing cookies

How do I delete Cookies in Safari, I go to preferences and click details and all the cookies are there, but bouncing about, so it is almost impossible to catch them, even when the internet is not connected the numbers are changing all the time. How do I stop the movement enough to be able to delete one or two.

Posted on May 2, 2015 8:40 AM

9 replies

May 3, 2015 12:06 AM in response to dominic23

Open Safari Preferences/privacy - under REMOVE ALL WEB SITE DATA - is a ‘NUMBER’ - of “websites stored cookies or other data” this in my case is changing from 86 to 90 as I watch it - at the right end of this is a button DETAILS, click this and the listed COOKIES are shown and are bouncing up and down, such that it is all but impossible to locate one quick enough to delete it.

At this time (early Sunday morning) it is flipping at about 0.06 of a second (with no connection to the internet), yesterday it was much faster. It would appear that several the cookie are switching on and off, but it is too fast to spot which ones.

I do not wish to delete them all as I do internet banking among other things, and those cookies are essential for the service. How do I stop this movement of the cookies? and why are they switching on and off anyway?

In FireFox you open the cookie list and it is the same as it has always been, a set list that you can delete at will.

May 3, 2015 5:49 AM in response to dominic23

I am not sure what the connection is between extensions and Cookies, but I have done what you asked: Safari>Preferences>Extensions and there are non listed & install updates Automatically is ticked.

I have done nothing else to the computer this morning, yet this Sunday afternoon, the Cookies have stopped bouncing and I have been able to delete all except the particular one I was after - it happens to be ‘Mac-Forum,com’ - I delete it and it returns - is there any way to permenintly DELETE a cookie, I have tried deleting it with the Apple key held down but that does not work either. I was a able to delete this cookie in FireFox but not here in Safari.

I have been using Apple computers since 1990 and thought I knew how they worked, but not with 10.10.3.

Aug 8, 2015 5:00 AM in response to sjduesey

I have just the same problem. I'm now running Safari 8.0.8, but first noticed the problem in the previous version, too, when I first tried to remove cookies.

For people those of you who perhaps can't envisage the problem, I've posted two very short QT movies, the first showing the changing number of cookies listed in the Safari Preferences window, and the second showing the strange behaviour of the list of cookies (accessed by pressing the Details button in the Safari Preferences window:

(sorry, but "Insert video" edit button doesn't function)

http://menelise.byethost3.com/safari/cookies1.mov

http://menelise.byethost3.com/safari/cookies2.mov

Mar 11, 2016 2:22 AM in response to sjduesey

I have found a way to make it stop instead of deleting all of the cookies.

While you're in preferences>privacy> select "always block" and the number of cookies will stay at the highest number.

UPDATE: This is what worked for me. Once I got them to stop changing, I scrolled through and found "sniper.ru". I then did a search within the cookie window for any ".ru" and deleted them all. I quit safari and relaunched. I went back to preferences>privacy> and changed from "always block" to any other setting and it stayed the same! I then checked all my other workstations that were not having this problem and none of them had any ".ru" cookies.

stop bouncing cookies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.