Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Yosemite with Third-Party ssd's

I'm thinking about Upgrading to Yosemite on my mac mini, primarily because I want to update to the latest version of Final Cut X, and this is only supported on Yosemite.

I put this off long ago because I'm using Third-Party SSD's, and I know that there were issues with this on Yosemite. If possible, I'd like to update now, but I'm not sure if this is a stable system for what I'm using. Here are my current specs below:

Mac Mini Late 2012
OS X Version 10.9.5
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
Startup Disk - 2x Crucial M550 256GB SATA in RAID-0

When I looked into this many months ago, I remember reading that Yosemite doesn't work well with non-apple SSD's, something about trim not working or otherwise. Does anyone know if this can be done now, or if there's a thread with a fix for this? Everything that I can find in searches is from a year ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 10:02 AM

5 replies

May 2, 2015 11:43 AM in response to martinqm

Based on the discussions I've read Yosemite will work on a 3rd party SSD, but as mentioned above, TRIM isn't supported.

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Upgrading to Yosemite with Third-Party ssd's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.