Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MP560 wireless printer cannot be found on network

Hi

I'm unable to get my wireless printer to print over the network since Yosemite upgrade. It used to work intermittently but in trying to "fix" it I read I should delete it and re-install it and it hasn't worked since.

I've been using the Canon Network Tool to setup the wireless printer again, it asks me to first plug in the USB cable. I go through all the steps but it can not see the printer on the network. Even with the correct printer IP address. The printer is definitely connected to the network. The WiFi light is on and the confirmation printout says its active.

I have been reading the threads for the past 2 days and have attempted many of the fixes which worked for others, including resetting the printing system from the mac and at the printer, deleting various printing folders in both the Applications and Library. I have re-installed the latest printer and scanner drivers and ensured that my firewall allows the Cannon Network tool thru as well as sharing etc. I have also turned on the Bonjour LPR setting on the printer too. At this point I don't know whats what.

The scanner also can't "see" the mac. there's an icon on the top bar but its faded and clearly is there but inactive.

My wireless printing and scanner used to work before. Please help me. I have little experience of this sort of thing and this is ****.

Joanna

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 9:56 AM

5 replies

May 2, 2015 11:29 PM in response to joboturner

You mention having enabled the Bonjour LPR setting in the MP560. So your next step would be to open Printers & Scanners and click the plus button to add. With the Default view displayed, click the IP icon in the toolbar and then enter the IP address of the MP560 (the one you used to connect to the printer to enable LPR). Set the Protocol to Line Printer Daemon and the Queue to LP. Then change the Name to Canon MP560 and search for the Canon MP560 series driver in the Use menu. With these items set click the Add button to complete the printer creation and then see if you can print to the MP560. If it doesn't work then you may need to power off the MP560 for several seconds and back on (the enabling of the LPR setting requires a restart on older models of Canon).

May 3, 2015 7:19 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks to you both for replying.

I couldn't do what Eric asked. I typed the prompt but my brackets were different (I don't have the squiggly ones) this was the reply - "syntax error near unexpected token 192.168.1.24"

I also did what PAHU recommended. First I should also clarify that I enabled the LPR setting directly on the MP560 (not sure what you mean by (the one you used to connect to the printer to enable LPR).

When I typed in the IP address and went through the other boxes as you said it returned with: "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to 192.168.1.24 due to an error."

here too are my network details, maybe you can see something there that I don't know is wrong.

========================================

Network Information

----------------------------------------

General Info.

(01)Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2015/May/03 12:45:32

(02)Model. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : MP560 series

(03)Printer. . . . . . . . . . . : MP560 series

(05)Scanner. . . . . . . . . . . : MP560 series (00.1e.8f.56.0b.c9)

Application Info.

(14)Application Name . . . . . . . . : Setup; Set Printer IP Address(Wireless)

(15)Application Version. . . . . . . : 4.5.0

(16)Printer. . . . . . . . . . . . . : MP560 series (USB)

NIC Info.

(21)Printer. . . . . . . . . . . . . : MP560 series

(22)Firmware Version . . . . . . . . : 1.040

Wireless LAN

(23)Wireless LAN Enabled . . : YES

(24)Standard . . . . . . . . : 802.11g

(25)AirPort ID . . . . . . . : 00:1E:8F:56:0B:C9

(26)Network Type . . . . . . : Infrastructure

(27)SSID . . . . . . . . . . : WiFi-2.4-76C3

(29)Encryption ON. . . . . . : YES

(30)Encryption Type. . . . . : AES

(31)Authentication . . . . . : WPA2-Personal

(32)Attached Information . . : 10 character Passphrase

(33)Link Status. . . . . . . : Active

(34)Signal Level . . . . . . : 51%

(35)Link Quality . . . . . . : 68%

TCP/IP

(36)Mode . . . . . . . . . . : Auto

(37)IP Address . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.24

(38)Subnet Mask. . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

(39)Router . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

(47)Admin Password ON. . . . . . . . : NO

Printer Access Control

(50)Device Status. . . . . . . . . . : Available

Printer User Name

(51)Wireless Name. . . . . . :

I just can't understand why my printer can't be seen on my network.

Thanks for any help

Joanna

May 3, 2015 2:40 PM in response to joboturner

joboturner wrote:

Thanks to you both for replying.

I couldn't do what Eric asked. I typed the prompt but my brackets were different (I don't have the squiggly ones) this was the reply - "syntax error near unexpected token 192.168.1.24"

In Terminal you just need to enter ping followed by the IP address of the device you want to check. So in your case it would be ping 192.168.1.24

The Mac also has a built in utility called Network Utility. You can located it via Spotlight. This utility has a Ping tab where you enter the IP address and then press the Ping button.

joboturner wrote:

I also did what PAHU recommended. First I should also clarify that I enabled the LPR setting directly on the MP560 (not sure what you mean by (the one you used to connect to the printer to enable LPR).

This is what I meant. But to confirm, to enable this LPR setting directly in new models of Canon printer you need to connect to the printers internal web page and this is done by entering the printers IP address (192.169.1.24 in your case) into a web browser. Is this the same process you used for the MP560 or is there some other Canon utility that you used to enable the LPR setting? I ask because if you connected to the internal web page then it confirms the IP address of the MP560 and that there is a working path between the Mac and the printer.

joboturner wrote:

When I typed in the IP address and went through the other boxes as you said it returned with: "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to 192.168.1.24 due to an error."

Based on the network information you show the IP address for the MP560 is correct. So the other reason for the "unable to verify the printer" error is that the protocol you selected is not enabled. Assuming you did select Line Printer Daemon on the Mac when adding the printer then it would suggest the LPR protocol is not enabled on the MP560. Did you restart the MP560 after enabling the LPR setting?

May 5, 2015 2:39 AM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU

Just to say its finally working!! Both printer and scanner.

The LPR settings were enabled but the Terminal ping was a negative. It couldn't be confirmed in spotlight either so realised that the problem was with the router. I logged on to my IP address thru its web interface and could see the printer, the mac and all other devices. They just weren't talking to each other.

I turned the printer, the mac and the router off and turned them back on in reverse order and hey presto - I'm connected 🙂 and slightly embarrassed ...

I really appreciate your willingness to help though. You're a legend.

Best regards

Joanna

MP560 wireless printer cannot be found on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.