Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

annoying Opera app warning

Hello there!

Something very annoying has started to happen recently and I don’t know how to solve it.

Been looking for info about it all over the internet, but can’t find any similar case… Here we go:

When I click any url-doc or webloc-doc, suddenly a window appears saying:

“You can’t open the application “Opera.app” because PowerPC applications are not longer supported”.

(???)

The thing is that I have no Opera app or residuals of it in my computer (checked with Spotlight and a couple of deleting programs) and in the preferences for those mentioned docs and similar, Safari is the one to be open with.

I keep reaffirming this into the info panel of the url-doc or webloc-doc but to no effect, cause the Opera warning still keeps appearing…

Even links sent by email that until now were opened in Safari, now there is no reaction whatsoever anymore… Nothing happen when I click them…

Safari preferences have been deleted; computer Permissions have been repaired; computer is been restarted, but to no avail… What kind of bug have I got?

Any help will be very, very welcome

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iMac 27”/ 2,8 GHz IntelCore i7 /

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:40 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much, Eric, for trying to help me!

In fact, I just solved the problem. It goes like this:

In the preferences of Safari, the default web browser was set to Opera. I didn't do that, but I think Opera have some sneaky ways to try to take over...

A few days ago I downloaded and installed Opera because de website Mega (big up- and downloads) doesn't work properly with Safari and it suggests to use Opera instead of the Apple one. Once I did the larga download I needed to do, I made sure every shred of Opera was deleted. And when Opera asked to be my default browser I didn't allow it, but... there you are...

Now that I have changed (again) the default browser to Safari in the Safari-preferences everything seems to be working properly again and I have my peace of mind back...

Thank you again, Eric. You're a gentleman

Cheers!

annoying Opera app warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.