Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

amber light blinks with wifi working

I have set up my network, time machine is backing up, yet the amber light on the time machine is blinking amber. Any ideas?

airport time machine-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:20 AM

9 replies

May 4, 2015 12:07 PM in response to brocktoon777

Yes, thanks.

Your "modem" is really a modem/router, also called a gateway. That means that it combines the separate functions of a modem and a router in the same package.

The AirPort Time Capsule is also a router.....but you do not want two devices on the same network both trying to do the same thing. So, the AirPort Time Capsule needs to be configured to operate in what is known as Bridge Mode......so it will not try to compete with the Arris modem/router.

You can confirm this information if you want by opening AirPort Utility and clicking on the AirPort Time Capsule. That will display a smaller window. Look for the Status setting, and click on the small amber dot to the right of Double NAT.

To configure your AirPort Time Capsule correctly to work with the Arris modem/router or gateway.......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Time Capsule as you have done before

Now click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Router Mode from DHCP and NAT to read "Off (Bridge Mode)"

Click Update at the lower right and give the AirPort Time Capsule a full minute to restart

You should how see a nice, green light on the AirPort Time Capsule, and all will be well.

User uploaded file

If not, power off both the Arris modem/router and the AirPort Time Capsule

Wait a minute

Start the Arris device and let it run a full minute

Now start the AirPort Time Capsule

That will give everything a fresh start.

May 4, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi,

Me again. So now it seems that everytime I put my computer to sleep, when it wakes up there is no connection to the internet via the Arris Modem. My light is green on the time capsule, I have internet on my iphone and iPad, but my desktop has no connection. Strange. If I reboot my computer It works, if I reboot the modem It works. I'm confused and frustrated. Can you help?

amber light blinks with wifi working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.