Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Metadata option when exporting from Aperture?....

When Exporting a single Original (never edited) CR2 file from Aperture 3.6 to my Desktop there are 3 Metadata options :

1) - Don't include IPTC

2) - Include IPTC

3) - Create IPTC4XMP Sidecar File

As I have no idea what 'IPTC' etc is, which option is best to later Import into Capture One, please?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 10:39 AM

6 replies

May 5, 2015 12:13 AM in response to Red Robin

IPTC are all Metadata you assigned in Aperture or in other applications, as opposed to the EXIF metadata embedded in the photos by the camera. The camera tags would be in the EXIF.

The get an idea, what is in clouded in EXIF and IPTC, open the Inspector in Aperture in the sidebar and switch the view to "IPTC info". That will show you a list of all tags, that will be included, when you export from Aperture with IPTC included.

User uploaded file

You can only export modified versions with IPTC, since Aperture will not modify the original file on export. That is why you can add a sidecar files, that lists all tags, and many applications are able to read this sidecar file, when you import photos.

I want the camera EXIF data to be exported with the image file.

The camera EXIF are already embedded in the original image files. When you export the originals, the EXIF will be included, independent of your setting for IPTC.

You can test, what will be exported, by opening exported files in Preview and opening the Inspector (Tools menu > Show Inspector)

You can see all EXIF and IPTC tags that have been exported with the photo.

May 6, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Red Robin

I've been trialling Capture One and exported some Raw files from Aperture with the sidecar file and had no issues.

I've also exported with the 'Don't include IPTC' and Capture One imported them unedited with no issues.

I'm two weeks into the trial and have just purchased as the software is, in my opinion, what Aperture could have become had Apple stuck with it.

Which Metadata option when exporting from Aperture?....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.