Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to boot into the OSX DVD Without a keyboard?

Hi everyone,

Today I found a WORKING 800mhz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (2002) at my local thrift shop for $15. Hard Drive was skipping and I had a 160GB hard drive laying around, so took the bad hard drive out and now it works, at least it has been. But heres the problem. My USB keyboard (My only one, btw) doesn't work when I start it up so when I press the power button and hit C nothing happend because my USB keyboard isn't working with it for some reason. Is there a way I can boot into the Mac OS X Startup disc to install the OS without a keyboard?

Thanks,

Erik

PowerMac, PowerMac G4 'Quicksilver' 800mhz

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:08 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Windowssonic

Hi, might also try this...

reset FW bus, same goes for USB reset...

Reset the Firewire bus

If your Firewire or USB isn't recognizing any device. A solution which has worked for some whose hard drive became invisible in 10.4 was simply to follow these four steps to reset the Firewire/USB bus:

1. Shut the machine down.

2. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any firewire/USB drive or devices.

3. leave it for 10 minutes.

4. Connect back up and reboot.

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

May 2, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Windowssonic

Some Quicksilvers shipped with a CD-RW drive and cannot read DVDs. There should be a tag somewhere on the case that identifies the various options installed. See if that show anything that looks like an optidcal drive description (CD-RW; Combo; etc)

Also is the DVD a full retail install disk or the gray disk that came with anotehr Mac model? If the latter, it probably won't work regardless of what you do.

I'd also hit the thrift shops again and try to find a working keyboard. They are usually dirt-cheap.

Is it possible to boot into the OSX DVD Without a keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.