Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photos to Photos-APP messed up all photo dates

I imported the old iPhoto library to the new Photo-App. After import without any error message, I opened the new Photo-App. All dates of the photos are changed and photos are in disorder. What can I do to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Photos App library

Posted on May 2, 2015 1:00 PM

6 replies

May 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Sorry I didn't explain my problem well enough. I upgraded to OS X 10.10.3, then the iPhoto App was automatically replaced by the Photos App. When I opened the Photos App the first time, the App went through the database migration procedure and automatically migrated the entire iPhoto databes (Library) to the new Photo library. After opening the Photo App the first time, i recognized that the dates of the pictures changed (the metadata of the picture changed to a new date). The Photo App now sorts the pictures/Photos according the new (wrong) date and messes up all photos.

Hence I do not have access anymore to my old iPhoto db.

There seems to bei bug in the db migration. A Friends of mine has exactly the same issue and reports additionally the Photo books are in complete disorder.

May 2, 2015 2:47 PM in response to olaffrombavaria

Whilst the Photos app does create a library of its own, the original iPhoto library remains intact. If you double click on your old iPhoto library it will automatically open in iPhoto for you. If you do this you can check the dates in there to see if the errors you have noted are a result of the migration or were already there in iPhoto.

May 2, 2015 3:12 PM in response to olaffrombavaria

To do that Winston suggested you'll have to have iphoto 9.6.1 installed on your Mac. If you do then it will open the iPhoto library and you can check the dates. If you had an earlier version of iPhoto installed you'll need to try the directions in this post by Terence Devlin to obtain it from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Do you have a "unique" date format setup in your System/Language & Region/Advanced/Date preference pane? Having a non standard date format has caused problems with iPhoto libraries before so might also affect a Photos library.

User uploaded file

importing photos to Photos-APP messed up all photo dates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.