Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fixpc99.com/macscan/alert/index2.hmtl ?

Hello,

I was on safari and this alert webpage popped up saying you have been hijacked, with a pop up requesting to call a number to remove the malware and an alert was playing over and over through my built in speaker saying to call the number to remove the malware. I did not call the number. I just panicked and tried closing the popup and Safari which it didn't close, and I closed Terminal which I had open cause I had a server running, and then I restarted my Mac. I then opened Safari back up after my Mac restarted and I selected reset Safari from the tab and removed all website data, and then removed all website data from there a couple times.

the reason I panicked is because I was scared, I have never seen anything like that on my Mac before. But I am wondering If anyone could tell Me if there has been anything malicious installed on My Mac, as I am quite considered for my security. ?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:12 AM

No. Since you did not call the number and follow their instructions, nothing was installed on your Mac.

Learn how to protect yourself from this kind of pop-up in the future: A Browser Pop-up has Taken Over Safari. You might also consider installing ScamZapper, a Safari extension designed to prevent this specific kind of pop-up from displaying.

(Note that I am affiliated with that site, and some pages contain ads).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Tellekit

No. Since you did not call the number and follow their instructions, nothing was installed on your Mac.

Learn how to protect yourself from this kind of pop-up in the future: A Browser Pop-up has Taken Over Safari. You might also consider installing ScamZapper, a Safari extension designed to prevent this specific kind of pop-up from displaying.

(Note that I am affiliated with that site, and some pages contain ads).

May 6, 2015 1:39 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

The same thing just happened to me a few minutes ago! There was a website on the pop-up so I tried to open the website on my cell phone and it only went to Google, which was very strange. Then I called the number. First, the guy had me force quit Safari. Then he wanted to connect to my computer. I asked "Why?" and he said, "So I can fix it." I said, "No, I think I'll try to figure out something else!" and hung up.

Did force quitting Safari do anything to harm my computer? Or am I safe since I refused to let him connect?

May 6, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Dancing19

No, force quitting Safari is the correct way to remove the pop-up, and is mentioned in the article I linked to. However, what he would have done next is likely install some spyware on your computer, and/or run a "scan," claim your computer is in critical condition, and demand money to fix it. Thankfully, you hung up before that happened.

Dancing19 wrote:

There was a website on the pop-up so I tried to open the website on my cell phone and it only went to Google, which was very strange.

They set their homepage up to redirect to Google. If you visited a subpage (not a good idea), it would stay on their site and just display the pop-up again. They probably do this to prevent people from examining their webpage and finding a way to stop them.

fixpc99.com/macscan/alert/index2.hmtl ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.