Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app on mac says I don't have enough space???

I have my old iPhoto library that was migrated to the new Photos app. I tried to turn on "iCloud photo sharing" and it says I don't have enough room on my machine to store all the pictures... Um, the pictures are already all on my laptop. I'm not going to let iCloud download "optimized" versions of my photos to my own computer and then pray that Apple won't lose my pics on their servers. I'm trying to get them to simply upload to iCloud. Does it actually work by uploading them all iCloud, deleting them from my machine, and then re-downloading them to my machine? Even if it did, which would be silly, I'm already holding the original hi-res version of all of the pics on my computer so if they fit now why wouldn't they later?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 11:04 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2015 7:42 PM in response to ryancousin

Do you have photos in iCloud Photo Library from other devices? I received the same message, but since I had lots of photos already in iCloud from my iPad and MacBook Air I felt that the problem was having room to download those photos from iCloud to my iMac. So I did tell it to download the "optimized" versions. I am not expecting it to change the photos already in my library.

May 3, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Cheese7007

I do have maybe 20 or so photos already in iCloud photo library from my iPhone, however, those same photos are already on my macbook due to photo stream so it wouldn't increase the storage requirements. Also, I'm not convinced that they won't replace all of my existing photos with optimized versions. I wish they gave more details about that.

Photos app on mac says I don't have enough space???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.