Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I best transfer long film taken with iPad camera to desktop and/or cloud for editing?

Hi - I've taken long film (1 hour plus) using my iPad and iPhone. I now want to edit them using Final Cut Pro on a mac desktop. How can I transfer them in one piece? The cloud photo sharing only permits it to transfer, even connected by cable, in small chunks - and there are NO timeframes on the chunks, so I can't tell if I have the exact start and finish flush with the previous section or not - it's really clunky and risks losing parts or duplication - and will take a very long time to cut and transfer in such small chunks. I can leave it running for hours. I can't sit and manually chop into sections, blind, without time markers. Any options?

iPad3-OTHER, Other OS, iPad3 compatibility issues

Posted on May 2, 2015 12:17 PM

7 replies

May 2, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

iMac runs OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

iMovie v 6.0.3 (267.2)

Final Cut Express (apologies, my mistake not pro) 4.0.1

iTunes detects the iPad and iPhone.

But the hard disk tree / finder function does not.

Thanks for the support. At least now appears probable age compatibility not my user error. I had wrongly figured it was not expected to be able to do a direct import, however odd it seemed, thus was using iCloud as workaround. Have shut down and restarted, and checked all the USB ports. No change. Upgrade either s/w? Or any other suggestion welcome.

May 2, 2015 4:59 PM in response to perssons

If I remember correctly, as Mr. Wolsey has said, you need to connect your device to your computer and transfer the video file(s) from your device to the computer via iPhoto. Once the file(s) is/are in iPhoto, you then select the files in iPhoto and export them for use in your editor. Preferably to an external hard disk. Once there, you open your editor of choice and import those files.

I seem to recall that the export process from iPhoto allows you to transcode the file into an edit friendly format, if so and you should choose the option to convert the video to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for editing in either iMovie or FCE.

If it does not, you'll need to get an app that can covert them to an edit friendly format, such as MPEG Streamclip.

MtD

How do I best transfer long film taken with iPad camera to desktop and/or cloud for editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.