Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a airport to another Apple base station

I Have a Apple base station that I purchased a 3 years ago if that. I have a ranch home (1600 sq), my base station is located in my basement. I cannot get signal to one side of my house. So, I went back to the apple store they told me i needed to buy a airport extrem. That I shoul connect the two and should never have the problem again. Well here I am, still not working and still can't get the two to work together. It's only been 1 1/2, every time I get the courage to try to connect the two, within 30min. I want to throw it out the window. Can someone pleaSe help me?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), no their is no more details

Posted on May 2, 2015 12:55 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to samantha46

Well... you could have purchased an AirPort Express for a lot less money to accomplish the same thing.

As you can imagine a basement is just about the worst place in a home to put any wireless device, but you ought to be able to accomplish what you want. First, "hard reset" the new Extreme (see below) and configure it again. When asked what you want to do with it, choose "Add to an existing network". That should point you in the right direction.

If you still have trouble, contact Apple using the Contact Us link below right. Telephone support is free for 90 days, and they will talk you through its setup.

To "hard reset" an AirPort Base Station: make sure it's powered up, then gently press and hold its tiny reset button. Don't apply any more force than required to feel a tactile click. Keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

May 2, 2015 3:31 PM in response to samantha46

Samantha,

You indicated that your iMac was a Late 2009 version, so it may....or may not....have the correct software required to set up your new AirPort Extreme. If it doesn't, that would likely explain a lot of the problems that you are having.

Please click the Apple icon at the upper left corner of the Mac's screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X version number that you see there. It will look something like this, for example.......OS X Lion, Version (10.7.5).

We don't need or want any other info, so a serial number is not required, nor is any of the other boring stuff that you see there.

It is not difficult to set up the new AirPort Extreme if you have the right application to do so. If you have an iPhone or iPad handy, that device can also be used to set up the AirPort Extreme as well. We can provide step by step if you want that.

Or, if you prefer, you can contact Apple Support to help you, as John suggests.

They will very likely ask for the same information about your Mac that we are asking.....since they will not know whether you have the right software installed on your Mac at the present time to correctly install the new AirPort Extreme.

Can I connect a airport to another Apple base station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.