Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac instantly freezes upon log in

Hello,

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive, running the latest version of Yosemite.

My problem started about 2 weeks ago when I switched on my MacBook and whilst trying to log in, it wouldn't accept my password. I entered in correctly (I'm 99.9% sure) several times until it told me I would have to do a password reset. I did, and it was ok. Worried about the message, I downloaded an antivirus (BitDefender I think?) from the Mac App Store and run a full scan, which completed and said my Mac was clean. I then did the software update which included Photos, removing iPhoto and my librabry started to upload to iCloud fine. I switched it off a few hours after when I went to bed (it hadn't finished uploading photos at that point).

A couple of days later, I booted my Mac up, it started fine, requested password and that was fine. Once the desktop loaded and I clicked an application to open it, the spinning wheel spun endlessly until the screensaver attempted to come on, but the screen just went black. I clicked to wake it, several minutes later the login screen appeared, I typed my password in and about 3/4 minutes after that, it acknowged that I'd entered my password and proceeded to a black screen with a spinning wheel. Several minutes later it returned to the desktop with the wheel still spinning endlessly. I tried cmd + q and fore qutting to no avail so did a manual restart by holding the power button and restarting.

It now just does the same every time! But it's also started popping up with messages requesting a certain app is asking for my iCloud keychain password. "cloudd wants to use the login keychain" mailsync, messages, callassist and others to name a few.. If I do enter the iCloud keychain password it instantly freezes, otherwise I click cancel and it will be ok, but then something else asks for iCloud keychain password. If I just ignore the messages I can't open any apps without them crashing almost instantly and the whole computer becoming unresponsive.

I've tried booting into disk mode, have verified the disk, which said it was ok, attempted to repair the disk, but it tells me no problems were found. I've done Cntrl + S at restart and run fsck -fy which ran, told me my disk had been modified, ran it again, said everything was ok. I optomistically booted up but the same problem occoured.

I have a feeling it's an issue with my iCloud keychain password and my Apple ID becuase of the message that keeps popping up. I've tried opening iCloud settings in settings, but that crashes the computer. So I can't reset my keychain. I spent an entire day waiting for it to respond to 'verify' and 'repair' my keychain, but it said everything was ok.

I'm at my wits end now 😟 I would happily wipe the drive and start again, loosing all of my software and other files, but the only thing holding me back is the 8,000 photo's/video's that didn't upload to the cloud, which will mean I will have lost them forever as I no longer have them on any other medium 😟

Please help me !

Thanks,

Henry

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 12:54 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2015 5:12 PM in response to H2007

Please take these steps to resynchronize the iCloud keychain. Your keychain on iCloud and your other Apple devices won't be affected. Take Step 2 only if Step 1 doesn't solve the problem.

Step 1

Back up all data.

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

Step 2

If you still have problems, uncheck the Keychain box again and continue.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "Keychains" should open. Inside it is a subfolder with a long name similar to (but not the same as) this:

421DE5CA-D745-3AC1-91B0-CE5FC0ABA128

The above is only an example; yours will have a different name of the same general form. Drag the subfolder (not the Keychains folder) to the Trash and empty.

Restart the computer and re-enable iCloud Keychain.

Mac instantly freezes upon log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.