Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility will not encrypt my disk

I have done this dozens of times with disk utility. I do the same format I have successfully used dozens of times. It follows all the way through the encryption process, creating a password, then allowing me to put documents into my image. However, when I click on the disk name I gave it, it comes up without first asking me for the password. Here is the format I THINK I have been using all along. Grateful for any help.

Name: "Scoobedoo File"

Size: 100 MB (plenty of memory)

Encryption: 128

Partitions: Single Partition - Apple Partition Map

Image Format: Read/Write disk image.

MacBook Air 11" Mid 2013.-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 1:31 PM

9 replies

May 15, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

Might be that when you entered the password keychain remembered it and just logs in and opens it. Check keychain and remove the password then it will always ask for the password. Careful to not check remember this password in keychain.

Disk utility will not encrypt my disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.