Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Transfer iTunes Library To New PC?

I recently purchased a new PC and am trying to transfer my iTunes library over to it.

I have done this a few times before when I purchased a new PC without any problems, but for some reason this time iTunes doesn't seem to recognize the library.

I have copied all of my media and iTunes files from my previous PC over and even have tried the instructions found here: How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support.

I have double checked the folder that iTunes is pointing to is correct and have restarted my PC, I am not sure what I am missing?

I am running Windows 8.1 pro with iTunes 12.1

Any ideas?

Windows 8

Posted on May 2, 2015 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 11:06 AM

Hold down SHIFT while you start iTunes, then when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library..., navigate to the iTunes folder that you copied from your old PC, and select the iTunes Library.itl file you'll find there. The problem you describe may be the result of having copied your library to something other than the default location (C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes) - if this is the case, iTunes will be using a new/empty library set up when it was installed. It's a common misconception that you can change library location by updating the "folder that iTunes is pointing to" in Edit > Preferences > Advanced. This setting is something different - it tells iTunes where to place files/folders when you add new media or consolidate your library. All the information about the current location of your media is in the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file) and the only way to change the database that iTunes regards as active is to use the SHIFT-start method as above. Just to address another common misconception, double-clicking on an iTunes Library.itl file will start iTunes but will only open that particular library if it was the last active one used.

Just in case the issue is the consequence of having incorrectly or incompletely copied the library, the folder structure on your old computer, and as a result of copying it to the new one, should have a layout like this:

User uploaded file

where the significant factors are that:

• everything is contained on one parent folder (typically called iTunes)
  • all your media is contained within the iTunes Media folder
  • the database file - iTunes Library.itl - is in the same folder as iTunes Media ... this is the key to having a "portable" layout, in that in this case (and only in this case) iTunes can resolve changes to the drive letter or the absolute path to the iTunes folder without resulting in broken links.

See turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for more details on the required layout and steps that may be necessary to restructure a library to achieve this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Prestwick11

Hold down SHIFT while you start iTunes, then when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library..., navigate to the iTunes folder that you copied from your old PC, and select the iTunes Library.itl file you'll find there. The problem you describe may be the result of having copied your library to something other than the default location (C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes) - if this is the case, iTunes will be using a new/empty library set up when it was installed. It's a common misconception that you can change library location by updating the "folder that iTunes is pointing to" in Edit > Preferences > Advanced. This setting is something different - it tells iTunes where to place files/folders when you add new media or consolidate your library. All the information about the current location of your media is in the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file) and the only way to change the database that iTunes regards as active is to use the SHIFT-start method as above. Just to address another common misconception, double-clicking on an iTunes Library.itl file will start iTunes but will only open that particular library if it was the last active one used.

Just in case the issue is the consequence of having incorrectly or incompletely copied the library, the folder structure on your old computer, and as a result of copying it to the new one, should have a layout like this:

User uploaded file

where the significant factors are that:

• everything is contained on one parent folder (typically called iTunes)
  • all your media is contained within the iTunes Media folder
  • the database file - iTunes Library.itl - is in the same folder as iTunes Media ... this is the key to having a "portable" layout, in that in this case (and only in this case) iTunes can resolve changes to the drive letter or the absolute path to the iTunes folder without resulting in broken links.

See turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for more details on the required layout and steps that may be necessary to restructure a library to achieve this.

How Do I Transfer iTunes Library To New PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.