Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s fails to recognize 16-bit .AIFF file when importing via iTunes.

I'm having difficulty adding a 16 bit .aiff sound file to my iPhone 5s via iTunes. When syncing iTunes to my iPhone 5s, the following message appears:

"My Composition" was not copied to the iPhone "My iPhone" because it cannot be played on this iPhone.

I have Sibelius 7.1, and have saved a composition as a WAV file. Then I used Audacity to export the file, and selected Save as type: "AIFF (Apple) signed 16 bit PCM". Now, iTunes will successfully import my composition if it's saved as a .mp3 file. But that's not a loss-less format. What's odd is that it totally fails to recognize Apple's .aiff format. What am I doing wrong here?

If there is a way to convert this .wav file to a .aiff file via the iTunes app, on a PC, then what are the steps to doing this? I only downloaded Audacity because it was recommended as a program that could convert a wav file to a format that the iPhone will recognize. Thanks for your help.

Posted on May 2, 2015 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 6:28 PM

If there is a way to convert this .wav file to a .aiff file via the iTunes app, on a PC, then what are the steps to doing this?

Yes, you can do the conversion with iTunes. Set your Import preferences for AIFF. Then right-click the WAV in your library and select "Create AIFF Version." Audacity is not necessary for this purpose.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Stormjack

If there is a way to convert this .wav file to a .aiff file via the iTunes app, on a PC, then what are the steps to doing this?

Yes, you can do the conversion with iTunes. Set your Import preferences for AIFF. Then right-click the WAV in your library and select "Create AIFF Version." Audacity is not necessary for this purpose.

iPhone 5s fails to recognize 16-bit .AIFF file when importing via iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.