Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reversing a Terminal command in Mavericks

Hi there. I have recently upgraded my 2008 MBP to Mavericks. I've been having an issue where the computer won't go to sleep when the lid is shut. After researching the issue and trying a number of 'non-invasive' options, I tried one that was to enter the following into Terminal and then repair my Permissions:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

Unfortunately it did not solve the problem and now one of my programs, "Edgies" will not launch. I'd rather enter in a few quick commands to reverse what's been done instead of re-installing an old backup. Is anyone versed in code enough to help me do this is a couple minutes instead of a few hours!? Thanks for your time.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 2:24 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2015 7:42 PM in response to kgroove1

Sure, here's an explanation:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/speed-up-the-shutdown-process-in-os-x/

But, honestly, I'd advise you not to type unknown commands into Terminal unless you know both what they're supposed to accomplish and how to reverse them easily. Evaluate carefully what you find online.

If you do like to tinker--and there's nothing wrong with tinkering--it's best to experiment with a bootable clone of the Mac's hard drive. If the experiment unleashes a box of bees, just erase the clone. At least the internal drive on your Mac remains unaffected by the experiment and functional.

Reversing a Terminal command in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.