Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no wakeup from sleep after memory upgrade

I have installed extra 2 stick to make it total of 32 gb ram on iMac. All memory from Crucial, 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800. But last 2 stick is slightly different part no than first 2 sticks that I bought 3 months ago. I double checked with crucial customer service, they said it is the same family, but different stocks/batch so, it should not matter. Strangely the price was different though. Crucial website self-checking also says that the last sticks are compatible (actually that website suggested automatically to but these). Today after I installed, I can see that the computer has 32gb ram, and everything is working fine, but when the computer goes to sleep, it does not wake up, and I have to restart the computer from hard power button push. If I install back original 2 memory sticks (4gb) from Apple (so total 24gb, 16 gb from the first batch of Crucial), I see no problem like this. Any idea? Related to not perfect incompatibility between the sticks?

one batch: CT8G3S160BM.C16FND

the other: CT8G3S160BM.M16FN

thank you

findik

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:37 AM

I did a search on the part number of your new RAM and found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1822510&page=2

there appears to be a problem with that particular RAM with a Retina iMac. This person replaced it with another mfr; I'd tend to stick with the other most recommended RAM vendor here: OWC (macsales.com), I would return the RAM as incompatible and equest to either get the same you had previously or get a credit.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 5:37 AM in response to findik

I did a search on the part number of your new RAM and found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1822510&page=2

there appears to be a problem with that particular RAM with a Retina iMac. This person replaced it with another mfr; I'd tend to stick with the other most recommended RAM vendor here: OWC (macsales.com), I would return the RAM as incompatible and equest to either get the same you had previously or get a credit.

no wakeup from sleep after memory upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.