Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating Time Machine

Hi,

I have used Time Machine for the last few years on a separate HD. Now, I bought a Time Capsule and would like to migrate my previous backups. Is this possible?

Computer: Macbook Pro

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SBG8560

HD: Seagate 2TB standalone

Provider: AT&T

Thank you,

David

Posted on May 2, 2015 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2015 4:57 PM

The answer is NO.. although we have a method.. it is simply too unreliable and such a complicated waste of time.. better you accept reality now.. as NO.

That is assuming your separate HD is plugged into the same computer doing the backups.. it is therefore an external local drive.

TM backs up differently to local drives.. cf network drives like the TC.

Start a brand new backup to the TC..

Keep the Seagate for a few months until you have a fair amount of history.. then you can wipe the Seagate and use it for something else.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Kingdavey1

The answer is NO.. although we have a method.. it is simply too unreliable and such a complicated waste of time.. better you accept reality now.. as NO.

That is assuming your separate HD is plugged into the same computer doing the backups.. it is therefore an external local drive.

TM backs up differently to local drives.. cf network drives like the TC.

Start a brand new backup to the TC..

Keep the Seagate for a few months until you have a fair amount of history.. then you can wipe the Seagate and use it for something else.

May 2, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Kingdavey1

Honestly, this is not easy, and in my opinion, not worth the time and trouble to do this, even if you find that it works.....which is open to question.

http://pondini.org/TM/18.html

Please consider keeping the separate drive handy in case you need to go back and pick up a file.

Start new backups going to the Time Capsule.

After six months......you will likely realize that you really won't need all the old backups going back many prior months and years, so you could erase the separate hard drive and use it for other storage.

Migrating Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.