Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to use boot camp to partition my mac... and failing.

Every time I try to partition my mac going through the bootcamp steps it keeps telling me that "Your bootable USB drive could not be created, An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files." I found a video that shows how to fix this problem, but only if you are using a CD to download Windows, but I bought it from the windows store online so its an exe file. The instructions say that I need a USB drive (which I have) and a Windows 7 or later version (I have windows 8.1 pro) ISO image downloaded from Microsoft. I bought my windows directly from their store, but I don't understand why the file won't work. I clearly don't have the correct file/ISO image situation so please please please help me out.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 3:27 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Sam4TT

Catch-22

That .exe is not going to run of course, and if there is no ISO inside the folder, if say it is just small setup.exe to pull Windows - go back and redownload ISO. It will be there on another page.

Or, join the Windows 10 Tech Preview Insider program and use that for now for free until it expires and Windows 10 comes out, or you can run the .exe and install Windows on a different drive. 10 is very nice, some rough edges but huge improvements. And 7 showing its 6 years. (10 combines the best of 7 Desktop and modernized, it is not 8/8.1)

I am trying to use boot camp to partition my mac... and failing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.