Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone wont connect to mac

Hey guys,

I am having trouble connecting a microphone to my macbook. When i plug it into my pc, it comes up as headphones even though it is a microphone. is there a way i can fix this by writing something into terminal, or simply downloading an audio driver to fix this? it is a Radioshack OmniDirectional Dynamic Microphone with an adapter that allows me to connect the 1/8 plug to my 1/4 headphone jack on my Macbook Pro.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks 🙂

p.s- its not a problem with the adapter or microphone, ive tried exchanging the microphone for a different one along with the adapter and still no luck 😝

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 2, 2015 6:26 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Johnny-g123

I think you have to plug it into the Line In jack. It's the one next to the Line out/Speakers. I think some microphones used to use a special longer Apple mic plug, but I don't know if this is true any longer. Also, remember to set the input source. Press the option key (alt key on some keyboard) and click on the speaker icon at the top of your screen. this will show all of the sound inputs and outputs available for your MacBook Pro. set it to Mic in/Line in. As far as I know you may not need a driver for your Microphone, but I've known to be wrong. If you can find something by griffin called the iMic, it will allow you to connect a standard microphone to a usb jack. I don't know if this is available anymore though

sorry I can't be of more help

John B

microphone wont connect to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.