Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad2 backup to Mavericks, I'm confused

I had previously backup up my iPad to my macair to iTunes on 18 June 2014. When I logged in to iTunes I could see it there. I had previously been advised back ups don't overwrite but create a new file. So, I did a new manual back of from the iPad to the macair.

When it was finished, the 18/6/14 back up no longer appeared on the list.

I went to where I thought back ups were stored, ~/Library/Appn Supp/Mobilesync/backups . There are three back ups there but they say there were created 28/2/14, 18/2/14 and 8/11/14? Where have the 18/6/14 and 3/5/15 gone to? Both have different info on them that I wanted to keep but needed space on my iPad.

Hopefully they are somewhere else?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 2, 2015 8:18 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2015 10:34 PM in response to rayver

On a Mac backups are stored under :

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Is that where you are looking, or the folder that you mention ? The backups that are in that folder should show on the Devices tab in iTunes > Preferences (command-comma)

When you take a backup in iTunes the previous backup is overwritten with new/changed files from the new backup, the old backup is not kept - I generally only have multiple backups in that directory and in iTunes when I do iOS updates via my computer, I then get a pre- and post-update backup.

If you want older backups then have you been using Time Machine or taking your own backups of your Mac, if you have then you might be able to copy them back from that.

Ipad2 backup to Mavericks, I'm confused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.