Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing yosemite

I have 27" iMac desktop running Mavericks. Used Time Machine for full backup. I attempted to upgrade yesterday to Yosemite. Had to restart download of Yosemite 4 or 5 times because download unexpectedly quit several times. During successful download this morning, progress bar kept flashing from current download total to previous final download total (?). After download, initiated restart into Yosemite. Apple appeared with progress bar beneath, and it never progressed beyond halfway. Hard drive was active the whole time with a sound that was not repetitive. Waited more than 30 minutes for startup to complete. Progress bar didn't move. iMac was stuck, not responding to keyboard. Shut down, tried restart, same results. Held down CMD+R, used Disk Utilities for Repair Disk, no errors found. Tried to reinstall OS, but it didn't see good internet connection. Didn't try Restore from Backup. I can't install Yosemite. Any ideas?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Safari opens with many windows

Posted on May 2, 2015 5:19 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2015 7:26 PM in response to rbcburg

Any ideas?

First see if the HD is OK, to do this run Apple's Hardware Test per the instructions and run it in extended mode 2-3 times back to back. The reason for running multiple times is AHT does not always find errors after the first or second pass but when it does they are correct. If errors are reported immediately make an appointment at your local Apple Store or AASP to get the hardware fixed. You can use the AASP Locator to begin locating one in your area.

If the hardware is OK, then reset the modem and router and retry to download Yosemite.

installing yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.