Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Poor Performance v. Time Capsule

I have successfully extended a wireless network by adding an Airport Express to my Time Capsule configuration, all lights are green, however the internet speed I am getting close to my Time Capsule is consistently way better than close to my Airport Express. Any clues?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 2, 2015 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 2:21 PM

That's pretty much the way you can expect it to work. The speed will never be faster than what you can get adjacent to the Time Capsule.

Temporarily disconnect the Express. Using your iPad, test the speed where the Express used to be. That's as fast as it will ever get in that location.

If you want to wirelessly extend your network, find a location for your Express in which you are also able to realize a speed that is acceptable to you. Plug it in there. That will effectively increase the range of your wireless network, but the speed you get – at that location – will be as good as you will ever get from the Express.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 2:21 PM in response to gfelzenszwalb

That's pretty much the way you can expect it to work. The speed will never be faster than what you can get adjacent to the Time Capsule.

Temporarily disconnect the Express. Using your iPad, test the speed where the Express used to be. That's as fast as it will ever get in that location.

If you want to wirelessly extend your network, find a location for your Express in which you are also able to realize a speed that is acceptable to you. Plug it in there. That will effectively increase the range of your wireless network, but the speed you get – at that location – will be as good as you will ever get from the Express.

May 3, 2015 2:21 PM in response to gfelzenszwalb

You don't indicate whether you are trying to extend using a wired Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and Express.....or.....whether you are trying to use a wireless connection between the devices.

We will guess wireless, since that is where speed problems almost always are found.

If you are trying wireless, temporarily, power off the AirPort Express and run a few checks on your Internet connection speed at the same point where the AirPort Express is located.

What are your results?

Whatever they are, if you are using wireless, you need to understand that the Express can only extend the quality and speed that it receives......and you have just checked to see what that might be. The Express is a "repeater". It does not "boost" the connection speed.

There is usually some additional loss of speed when you try to extend using wireless as well.

A good location for the Express when you try to extend using wireless is a point that would be about half way between the Time Capsule and the general area where you need more wireless signal.

In other words, if you need a better wireless signal in a remote bedroom, locate the Express about half way between the Time Capsule and the bedroom.

If you can use a wired Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and Express, there will be no signal loss at all through the Ethernet cable.

Airport Express Poor Performance v. Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.