Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install a Boot Camp partition without access to OSX files.

I Want to use a boot camp partition so that windows can use all my ram (windows 10 is really slow running alongside Yosemite in virtualbox). Is there software that I can install or something special I can do to install windows in a way that it won't be able to access the files on the Mac side? I don't want the security risks of windows getting through to the Mac bit. So, is there something that can out up a barrier between the two?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 2, 2015 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:54 AM

Hi Webmaster4o,

Bootcamp will allow your Mac HDD to duel boot either Windows or OSX. You can select the amount of space on your disk you wish to partition and dedicate to either operating system. I have a 1TB iMac which a partitioned and installed Windows on 25% of in order to play a Windows MMORPG, the installation and running of Windows was really smooth and simple.

As for your security risks, viruses that are made for Windows simply can not affect OSX as they are made with a different type of code. However I would still strongly recommend that you install Virus Protection on your Windows partition, I wouldn't want any virus anywhere near my precocious Mac!

Take a look at the following article for a list of the best free Windows Antivirus Software - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

Good luck 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 5:54 AM in response to Webmaster4o

Hi Webmaster4o,

Bootcamp will allow your Mac HDD to duel boot either Windows or OSX. You can select the amount of space on your disk you wish to partition and dedicate to either operating system. I have a 1TB iMac which a partitioned and installed Windows on 25% of in order to play a Windows MMORPG, the installation and running of Windows was really smooth and simple.

As for your security risks, viruses that are made for Windows simply can not affect OSX as they are made with a different type of code. However I would still strongly recommend that you install Virus Protection on your Windows partition, I wouldn't want any virus anywhere near my precocious Mac!

Take a look at the following article for a list of the best free Windows Antivirus Software - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

Good luck 🙂

May 3, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Webmaster4o

Webmaster4o wrote:

Is there software that I can install or something special I can do to install windows in a way that it won't be able to access the files on the Mac side? I don't want the security risks of windows getting through to the Mac bit. So, is there something that can out up a barrier between the two?

The choice to install Windows is an invitation to security risks. It does not mean OS X does not have its own security risks. All OSes do. Windows has more widespread malware, viruses, etc. Windows has read-only access via Apple HFS+ driver to OS X volumes (this is installed as part of Bootcamp Drivers package).

You have two choices,

1. Install FileVault2 - OS X: About FileVault 2 - Apple Support.

2. Convert your HFS+ volumes to CoreStorage. See the help about diskutil cs convert. Please also see https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/diskutil.8.html

diskutil cs convert

Usage: diskutil coreStorage convert

MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode

[-stdinpassphrase | -passphrase [passphrase]]

Convert a regular JHFS+ partition into a CoreStorage logical volume.

The file system must be mounted and resizable (i.e. Journaled HFS+).

Ownership of the affected disk is required.

Either method removes read-only access to OS X side.

Install a Boot Camp partition without access to OSX files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.