Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened? Upgraded iphoto and changed to version 1.0!

What happened? Upgraded iphoto and now I lost all my events. Everything is in days it was taken. Can't do anything with them. I looked up the version so I could find help and it says 1.0..WHAT HELP!! I had my husband check his and his did the same thing! What is going on. In a panic because the most important thing on my computer is my pictures!

iPhone 4

Posted on May 2, 2015 5:53 PM

10 replies

May 2, 2015 6:07 PM in response to darciefromstafford

Next time you should read What's New before updating Do you don't experience surprises...

iPhotos has been replaced with a new app called Photos. If it completed migrating your iPhoto Library, all your images are now also in Photos Library(Events are now Albums in a folder named iPhoto Events.

iPhoto and iPhoto Library remain on your drive and work as before.

How to get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X10.10.3.

Prepared by Barney-15E: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8431

May 2, 2015 6:36 PM in response to darciefromstafford

Ok after much research I have figured out what is happening....Now I got that they decided we needed everything to look the same as our iphones, ipads! NO NO Slight problem I HATE using iphoto on those devices. Now all the albums that I have spend YEARS organizing are all in a big clump. Yes, melt down is about to happen! I have my photo's broken up by the month and year. I am a scrapbooker and this is how I have done it for years. I can see if I go to the albums tab that I can see how I had them. But I can't clump them by months any more?? Doesn't anyone understand what I am saying?

May 2, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Rysz

LOL Ok I hear you but seriously WHY do they completely change things! Is it better to figure out how to make this work or will I run across major issues if I use iphone? My main issue is my "Events" I have everything organized into month and year. Now everything is a big pile! Very unorganized from what I can see. I don't like see what day I took the photo. Want to find things quickly. Sorry not trying to be whiney...ok maybe I am. But the most important thing on this laptop is my pictures and how I like to organize and it has completely thrown me.

PS I don't use icloud! Is this going to be a problem??

May 3, 2015 1:20 PM in response to darciefromstafford

darciefromstafford wrote:

Now I got that they decided we needed everything to look the same as our iphones, ipads!

That's a gross oversimplification and you probably know it. There are many advantages to the new application. Not least of it being that now all devices are perfectly synced and, if you enable iCloud Photo Library, you have access to ALL your images on ALL devices and computers, you gain better editing tools and have gained additional, auto-generated organized views. Only you can decide if they are worth it to you to spend some learning time on. If not, continue using iPhoto.

Now all the albums that I have spend YEARS organizing are all in a big clump.

All your painfully organized Events and albums have migrated to Photos. You have lost nothing. In fact you gained more flexibility, because in addition to grouping Albums into Folders, you can now have multiple levels of Folders within other Folders.

I can see if I go to the albums tab that I can see how I had them.

If you can still see how you "had them" organized, then you still have them, right?

But I can't clump them by months any more??

Yes you can. Use Folders (years or months) and even Folders within Folders (say, groupings within months, and months within years, etc, etc).

All your Events have been grouped into the iPhoto Events folder upon migration to highlight that in Photos they are now Albums. I had about 380 such Events/Albums. It took me perhaps 20 minutes to move them out of that folder and organize into other groups that were not even possible in iPhoto.

Seems to me, however, that you already made up your mind that you hate Photos. That's OK. Your choice.

May 3, 2015 10:08 AM in response to darciefromstafford

Follow the instructions in this post by Terence Devlin to install iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store. It will work with your iPhoto library under 10.10.3.

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

As far as finding that one album, it should be in the sidebar of the Photos window. To activate the sidebar use the key combination of Option+Command+S. It should be section under Albums:

User uploaded file

Also all of your Events from iPhoto were converted to albums in Photos and are in the sidebar folder titled "iPhoto Events":

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Rysz

Ok now that I have slept and no longer acting like my teenage daughter....PLEASE forgive me! I am not a fan of change and I panicked before really digging.

I can see how to make it all work! I still like how iphoto was set up. Guess it is a style I liked. BUT the photo app will just get some getting use to. I played around with it and have been able to make a April 2015 folder, I can see it will really work the same. My "older" folders will just be in a different spot.

All is not wrong in world....AGAIN SORRY FOR THE WHINING! LOL

Thank you all for taking the time to get my act together. I figured I just need to pull up my big girl pants and get it figure out. Because next update I would have to do it anyway. 🙂

What happened? Upgraded iphoto and changed to version 1.0!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.