Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't access my library through apple tv since latest update

Can't access my library through my apple tv since the latest update with the new "photos" program . Usually a restart of iTunes corrects this problem but have restarted iTunes 3 times and a full restart and with no luck of accessing my library.

Apple TV (3rd generation), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:47 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2015 9:19 AM in response to vazandrew

AFter updating to 10.10.3 and the latest itunes in the last few days, I can't access any media via home sharing on atv2 or atv3. I've rebooted the mac mini, disabled and re-enabled home sharing on atvs and itunes, rebooted my time capsule. I can play media from itunes if i use airplay to the atv, but this is painful. What gives?

atvs are on the latest bits. i can get to home sharing music and videos from ios devices.

HOme sharing is an often broken piece of junk, in my experience.

May 3, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Richard Brigg

I figured my problem out after about 3 hours.. solution was to change the Mac's name and sign out and back in of Home Sharing on all devices.

J.F.C.

Full notes of my saga:

• Our Apple TV 2 and ~1 month old Apple TV 3 (both running latest firmware) can no longer connect to the Home Sharing on the Mac Mini iTunes user 'user1' with Apple ID 'user1@icloud.com' about 4 or 5 days ago, shortly after updating to OSX 10.10.3 or the latest version of iTunes
  • Been through this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203311
    • All devices on same network
    • Mac Mini has firewall disabled, but enabled and disabled it again
    • Stopped and restarted Home Sharing on Mac Mini and ATVs, even with other Apple IDs
    • Rebooted ATVs and Time Capsule router
    • Rebooted Mac Mini
  • Tried updating firmware on Time Capsule router
  • Tried reinstalling latest iTunes
  • Not clear how to downgrade iTunes to previous version
  • CAN connect to Home Sharing on Mac Mini iTunes user pam from other iOS devices, such as iPad or iPhone
  • CAN play back a movie from Mac Mini and set the Air Play display to ATVs to watch a movie - network clearly works
  • CAN connect ATVs to Home Sharing on a different Macbook
  • Tried different computer name per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203970

And signing out and back in to Home Sharing worked!

can't access my library through apple tv since latest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.