Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Type of Internal Disk Does the Time Capsule Use?

Does the AirPort Time capsule use a standard 2TB SATA HDD, or a newer SSD? I asked an employee of an Apple Store when I was there, and he said that it operated utilizing an SSD. However, I had my doubts, as the $100 difference between the AirPort Extreme and 2TB AirPort Time Capsule does not seem like the cost of a solid-state drive.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid-2013 13"

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:03 AM

Standard SATA drive is used in the Time Capsule.

For what it's worth, I believe that Apple is using Seagate Barracuda drives, or at least they were a few months ago when I took apart a Time Capsule to look inside. Things can change quickly though.

2 replies

May 2, 2015 8:22 PM in response to TheChessPlayer

I asked an employee of an Apple Store when I was there, and he said that it operated utilizing an SSD.

A 1TB SSD would cost >$$TC x 2 or x3.. and a 2TB well that would be well over $US1000 and would probably need 2x1TB which is about as big as SSD are made now.

So great that you are able to be rational.

the $100 difference between the AirPort Extreme and 2TB AirPort Time Capsule does not seem like the cost of a solid-state drive.

You could hardly buy a 128GB of decent brand for $100.

Logic applies.. to everything.. !!

SSD is pointless btw.. the network limit of gigabit means that ordinary spinning mechanical green drives are faster than the network.. so it would be stupidly pointless to use SSD..

You need super fast interface, like thunderbolt before even dreaming of SSD for external drives.

What Type of Internal Disk Does the Time Capsule Use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.