Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded to photos and find that cannot open my library which is stored on an external NAS.

Hi,

I upgraded to Photos. Did not realise that its a 1.0 version!!! Anyway, I have been using all my photos and library which is physically located on an external NAS and was able to manage with iPhoto. However, photos only allows you to use the library on the computer. I tried the option to hit the command button and open Photos to change it, but nothing happens. So I hold the command button and click on the photos icon, and it does not bounce to show that its starting up. The only thing that happens is that Finder opens the location of Photos application. This does not help.

Then I tried clicking into the app first and immediately after keep pressing the command button and it just opens up as normal.

Also can I go back to iphoto if Photos only provides iCloud external storage?

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on May 2, 2015 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 1:33 AM

Hold the Option key down to change libraries.

Yes you can use iPhoto provided you had the latest version 9.6.1. It will be in your application folder.

11 replies

May 3, 2015 1:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

well i did not know that. so what do you recommend I do?

My needs are to keep all photos, videos, music and files on this device. Most of the files are either pdf, excel, word etc. etc. as I am in the process of migrating from a PC to a Mac.

I also have iPads and iPhones which need to access these files some how.

Any ideas or should I be asking apple genius store?

May 3, 2015 4:37 AM in response to Loyal-consumer

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, exporting, saving edits and sharing the photos.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

upgraded to photos and find that cannot open my library which is stored on an external NAS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.