Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp install - startup manager cannot see my main mac partition

Greetings,

I've just installed windows 7 using bootcamp. After installation my system will only boot up on windows partition. Startup manager failed to 'see' my main mac osx partition.

Tried verify disk on disk utility and it says volumne ok. Tried re-installing osx but it can only see my windows partition.

How can make my mac osx partition bootable again? Thank you for your time and help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 3:53 PM

1. Please try Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support and How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

2. If you power cycle you Mac and hold the Alt key, what options do you see?

3. Boot Camp: Set the default operating system is another option. Do you have a Bootcamp Icon in Windows Control Panel -> System?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 3:53 PM in response to ongpt

1. Please try Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support and How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

2. If you power cycle you Mac and hold the Alt key, what options do you see?

3. Boot Camp: Set the default operating system is another option. Do you have a Bootcamp Icon in Windows Control Panel -> System?

May 4, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your suggestions. Reply on your suggestions:

1. Reset the NVRAM. Same thing.

2. I can only see the windows partition.

3. Will try this.

I had some more time on understanding the situation and I recall deleting a couple of partitions I thought was put there in my previous attempt to install bootcamp(I will never do that again!). This happened while I was installing windows 7 and it asked on which partition I wanted to install the windows on.

The mac os x is on disk1s1 and it wasn't mounted. DiskUtility will not mount it. I think it's because I deleted those partitions. Used fsck -fy a couple of times. It found some corruption and were able to repair it.

Expensive Diskwarrior perhaps? Maybe something more I can try before I get it?

Thanks for your time and help again. Much appreciated.

May 4, 2015 5:10 PM in response to ongpt

Can you post the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

May 6, 2015 8:56 PM in response to Loner T

Apologies for the delay. Hope the below helps.

diskutil list output:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme 1.2GB disk0

1: Apple_partition_map 30.7KB disk1

2: Apple_HFS Mac OX X Base System 1.2GB disk2

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme 500.1B disk1

1: 0xAC 400.2GB disks1

2: Windows_NFS BOOTCAMP 99.0GB disks2

/dev/disk2 >>> /dev/disk12

0: untitled 524.3KB disk2 >>> disk12

diskutil cs list output:

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

sudo: command not found

bootcamp install - startup manager cannot see my main mac partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.