Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple application PHOTOS vs APERTURE

Hello to everyone.

With the coming of the new application PHOTOS (that is not a professional one) will APPLE continue to support APERTURE? (I mean with new updates and new releases for the next MAC OS systems)

If not what is that best way to work?

1. Change from APERTURE to PHOTOS (loosing all the professional features).
  2. Change from APERTURE to LIGHTROOM.
  3. Remain with the double management of PHOTOS and APERTURE (in this case there is a way to take inly a library?)

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Alan Ford

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 2, 2015 10:52 PM

14 replies

May 2, 2015 11:37 PM in response to waynog

No it's not. Apple have stopped making pro grade photography software. There re unlike to be new updates, and any that do come along will be only fixes, there will be no new features. Apple have promised that Aperture will continue to run on 10.10. There re no promises past that.

You don't have to use iCloud with Photos.

May 3, 2015 8:34 AM in response to waynog

Is Photo's meant as a replacement for Appeture?

Most definitely not. Aperture is likely to work perfectly for years to come. Look at the millions of people still using iMovie HD 06 and iDVD.

To me, Capture One could be considered an alternative to Aperture, and Lyn an alternative to iPhoto.

Both Capture One and Lyn can display keywords under thumbnails, Photos cannot do this.

May 3, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Ziatron

Aperture is no longer for sale from Apple, and they have said that it'll be supported on Yosemite, but nothing has been said about longer than that.

I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I needed to use Aperture 3.6 on OS X 10.11 or 10.12 going forward. If you can freeze your system at 10.10 and Aperture 3.6 for a few years there's some life left in it, but sooner or later it'll start having enough issues that it's problematic.

May 4, 2015 3:31 AM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

If you can freeze your system at 10.10 and Aperture 3.6 for a few years there's some life left in it, but sooner or later it'll start having enough issues that it's problematic.

That's what I'm planing to do, well 10.9.5 actually. Now apart from the possibility of not supporting new camera raw formats I can't see why it would not keep going for many many years to come.

Presuming there is no hardware failure a 20 year old computer will run 20 year old software exactly as it did 20 years ago. If your happy with what Aperture will do and your fine with locking your system then there should be no problem. At my place of work we use a software package that has not been supported by the manufacture (IBM) since 1998 and thats in a 1000 employee multi site national firm, as Apple would once have said "it just works"

I suspect there will be quite a few current Aperture users who will dedicate their current computer and OS to a stand alone photography machine when and if they upgrade to a newer computer.

May 4, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Acetone.

There's absolutely no reason why that should not work but... And it is a significant but:

When the hardware goes - in 10 / 15 years or so - what's your out? You have data in a format that no other app an read, backed up in the same format? The current version of the new apps will read the Library, but what about the version in 10 years time? And the replacement machine you buy won't run Aperture - even if you could find an installer?

May 4, 2015 5:18 AM in response to alanford75

Apple is simply making one piece of software that can run on multiple devices - and its geared toward take pictures with ipad or iphone and transfer through the cloud to your desk top sort of thing, They are defining a platform that cuts out desktop only users.

I use Photoshop - and am well aware that PHOTOS does not support PSD files (IPHOTO does or did if they dropped it after ILIFE09)

Apparently many of the features of PHOTOS are in options that have to be added to menu bar.

Biggest problem seems to be lack of easy to find instructions.

Below is some getting started pages.

Send feedback to apple on why you don't like the app.

photos getting started

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204655

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204410

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 4, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

There's absolutely no reason why that should not work but... And it is a significant but:

When the hardware goes - in 10 / 15 years or so - what's your out? You have data in a format that no other app an read, backed up in the same format? The current version of the new apps will read the Library, but what about the version in 10 years time? And the replacement machine you buy won't run Aperture - even if you could find an installer?

Well right from the get go I have only used referenced files, so all the original raw files will still be available but without adjustment or the database part of Apeture. I do have the reference files is a structured system on the external hard drives of year/month/date/event, and backed up to hard drives using the slightly more common fat filling system as opposed to OS X file system.

Obviously a jump to Capture One would at the moment be easy in that it has the ability to read the Aperture Library, but as with ANY package will it still be here in 10/15 years or are we just going to have to jump through hoops each and every time a vendor decides to drops support of an app.

Will the new machine install Aperture, no, but in 10 /15 years i doubt it will read floppies,cd,dvd, blue ray or even hard drives, but that going to be another issue we'll all have to contend with.

May 4, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Acetone.

My point has nothing to do with referenced files - you can recover the files easily from a managed library too. My point is that you lose all the work you've done on the photos, all your processing - that's 15 years of work down the tubes, only to have to start over from scratch. Sure you can start over from scratch, and that's better than nothing, but it's only better than nothing.

That's my point about sitting tight until the hardware dies.

May 4, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Perssonally, I plan to migrate to third party software ASAP.

My feeling it the longer I remain with Aperture the larger my library will be and the more difficult the migration will be then. So I have stopped doing everything but emergency work until I select the replacement then I am will migrate to from Aperture and never allow any Apple photographic software to cross my path again.

New Apple application PHOTOS vs APERTURE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.