Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the 2015 Model also show the staingate display problem?

Does the 2015 Model also show the staingate display problem? If so is it better to stay with the old 2010? Displays with antireflective coating seem to have immense Problems als depicted at staingate.org.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 2:16 PM

It's still too early to say, in most cases that have been reported so far, the problem seems only to have manifest itself after about 8-12 months or more of regular use.

From reading through this thread on the support forums (Re: My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!) there are more and more people with the 2014 model who's coatings are also now starting to fail. If you read through some of the more recent postings you will also find a link to a German magazine which claims that the 2015 model appears not to have the coating applied at all, which I can neither confirm nor deny, but certainly had me to raising an eyebrow.

My own late 2013 model only started to peel off after 18 months (yesterday, hence my late reply to your post), but then I've seldom had any reason to clean it since it's mostly used in clamshell mode on my desk and I've babied it from the day I purchased it, including cleaning it as per Apple's recommendations using the supplied, apple-branded cloth, sometimes slightly moistened with a few drops of water.

Bets of luck in your buying decision, I'd be very wary of any retina macbook purchase before hearing something official from Apple on this topic.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 2:16 PM in response to 1208Rom

It's still too early to say, in most cases that have been reported so far, the problem seems only to have manifest itself after about 8-12 months or more of regular use.

From reading through this thread on the support forums (Re: My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!) there are more and more people with the 2014 model who's coatings are also now starting to fail. If you read through some of the more recent postings you will also find a link to a German magazine which claims that the 2015 model appears not to have the coating applied at all, which I can neither confirm nor deny, but certainly had me to raising an eyebrow.

My own late 2013 model only started to peel off after 18 months (yesterday, hence my late reply to your post), but then I've seldom had any reason to clean it since it's mostly used in clamshell mode on my desk and I've babied it from the day I purchased it, including cleaning it as per Apple's recommendations using the supplied, apple-branded cloth, sometimes slightly moistened with a few drops of water.

Bets of luck in your buying decision, I'd be very wary of any retina macbook purchase before hearing something official from Apple on this topic.

Sep 4, 2016 12:18 PM in response to jeejay

yes the mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro does have this issue i was in the Apple Store in CA Manhattan Beach and one of there display floor models was showing Retina Staingate i showed one of the Genuis and they told me it was a Defect and they would be taking the appropriate actions and thank you for showing us that problem. so yes i would be careful. with buying MacBook Pro Retina. screens i have my 17" Antiglare and i think i am going to be sticking with this untill i see no issues. i also have the MacBook Pro Mid 2015 with AMD as well.

Does the 2015 Model also show the staingate display problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.