Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you watch regular free tv shows on apple tv

Just bought Apple TV but don't know how to watch regular free TV shows like Fox, Channel 58 (KQCA), TNT, CBS, ABC, etc.?

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 3, 2015 4:39 AM

13 replies

May 3, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Lillies4Laurie

You cannot get your over-the-air (OTA) channels on the Apple TV. Depending on your proximity to the transmitters and the geography in your area, a "rabbit ears" OTA antenna may work.

Some network and cable programming is provided on the Apple TV via apps like Watch ABC and FOX NOW (complete list of apps here). However, most of these require a cable or satellite TV subscription in order to get that content. The recently added HBO NOW allows you to subscribe directly without having HBO via cable/satellite.

Dec 6, 2015 2:53 AM in response to jjkraw

Now you can watch live Over the Air TV on Apple TV via an app called Channels ($15). You also need HDHomeRun ($79 -1 tuner) or the HDHomerunExtend ($159 - 2 Tuners). As long as HDHomeRun is connected via ethernet you can access Over The Air TV is any room that has an Apple TV.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3011950/streaming-hardware/apple-tv-gets-an-app- for-over-the-air-channels-with-the-right…

Dec 6, 2015 7:49 AM in response to atpost2000

So if I'm reading things correctly, this doesn't get rid of the need for either a cable/satellite subscription and/or an HD antenna - it is just something that can be added to the setup so that the content goes through the Apple TV (or other device) instead of directly plugging into the TV. Switching sources isn't that big of a problem for me, and it doesn't address the issue of cutting the cable cord (for those who still want to access cable channels).

Dec 6, 2015 7:58 AM in response to jjkraw

jjkraw wrote:

So if I'm reading things correctly, this doesn't get rid of the need for either a cable/satellite subscription and/or an HD antenna - it is just something that can be added to the setup so that the content goes through the Apple TV (or other device) instead of directly plugging into the TV. Switching sources isn't that big of a problem for me, and it doesn't address the issue of cutting the cable cord (for those who still want to access cable channels).

As said it's not another way of accessing a transmitted stream, either from a free or paid-for service. What it offers is the ability to view individual chosen films, TV programmes and series on a pay-per-view basis instead of paying a subscription for a service and all its programmmes. Depending on what you want to watch this might be a better deal for you or it might not. Have a trawl round the iTunes Store to see what's on offer.

Dec 6, 2015 10:02 AM in response to jjkraw

Cutting the cord ain't easy. As other posters have noted most of the full episode/movies require an active cable subscription in order to acces the apps (the media conglomerates still need to get paid so they can continue to produce the shows and movies that your wanting). Alternatives are slow to come. Apple has been long rumored to be releasing an al-a-carte subscription service similar to sling TV but there is still cost associated. But if your like me, it's much smaller than my current bill...

as the consumer we need to understand the pros and cons to make our own decision as to what works best for us personally...

https://www.sling.com/new

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-tv-streaming-service-still-to-come-and-co uld-cost-40-a-month-2015-09-14

Dec 6, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Rudegar

What it offers is the ability to view individual chosen films, TV programmes and series on a pay-per-view basis instead of paying a subscription for a service and all its programmmes.
it gets input from the Internet and from your wifi network no other inputs at all

You'll need to show me where the documentation says either of these things, because I don't see it.

The Channels app info is here. It says "Channels uses your HDHomeRun TV tuner to play live TV directly on your Apple TV."

The HDHomeRun info is here. The information therein lists TV input sources as ATSC digital TV (antenna), Unencrypted digital cable TV (Clear QAM), and US digital cable TV. The two statements above apply to the Apple TV itself, without any additional equipment, but as far as I can see do not apply to Channels / HDHomeRun info.

If I missed something, please point it out.

Dec 6, 2015 11:22 AM in response to jjkraw

The two sentences you quote apply exactly to the Apple TV. What you are talking about is a quite separate device (not made by Apple) which takes the input from antenna or cable and allows you to stream the channels (some of which you would still have to pay for) to computers or the ATV over your LAN. In the case of the ATV you would be buying a device simply to save you changing channels on your television. It does not enable you to 'cut the cable' which was what the OP was asking about.

Dec 6, 2015 11:26 AM in response to jjkraw

Also, this reminded me of the recent ABC v Aereo Supreme Court case which essentially stated that Aereo's operating model was illegal. What they did was have TV antenna farms that were rented by their users. Aereo would then stream what was picked up by the antenna to the users.

Subscribers to Aereo paid $8 to $12 a month to rent one of the start-up’s dime-size antennas that captured over-the-air television signals. Users then could watch near-live TV and record programs on major broadcast networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

... and then cut the cord if the only reason for a cable subscription was because they had crappy OTA TV reception.

HDHomeRun gets around this because the TV signal comes from an already legal source: Either the TV antenna or cable box that the user already has. If getting a good TV signal at one's home isn't already possible, this doesn't help (unless, again, I really missed something about this product).

Dec 6, 2015 11:57 AM in response to jjkraw

I primarily use Netflix, Sling ($20/mo no contract) and OTA( over the air) TV. I did get poor signal where I live, but bought a $100 HD antenna, solidsignal.com, and stuck it in the attic. Since doing that I've had excellent reception. For another $79-159, HDHomerun, I could stream OTA programs to any dlna TV or dlna device( apple tv, roku, etc). The benefit is all in one place, netflix, sling, channels(ota), and does not require coaxial connection, traditional OTA, for other TV's in the house. All in one place and one remote, without the need for switching in between inputs and/or universal remotes has high WAF here.

Yes if you need past episodes of a show and on demand stuff, this is not for you and you'll still need cable.

Dec 11, 2016 7:06 AM in response to atpost2000

Very helpful. Thanks.I'm considering the same mix as you. HDHomeRun connect should arrive Tuesday from Amazon. Currently using DTVNow, but may try Sling trial.

Interesting thing about SlingTV is they are about to release an OTA tuner box (a repurposed sling tv box) called "AirTV" that's designed to allow your local HDTV channels to be integrated into the slingtv app.

Curious since you have HDHomeRun and Channels already, would you see the Sling "AirTV" integration solution as something you would find more useful than your current setup with HDHR and Channels? (IE, if they offered the AirTV at no cost, all things equal)

how do you watch regular free tv shows on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.