Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen iPad Air battery caused cracked digi screen?

My son woke up a few months back to find a crack running from side to side on the digitiser screen of his iPad Air 5. He maintained he'd done nuffink to cause this - it wasn't dropped, sat on, roughly handled in any way and he'd had his iPad permanently stored inside a pretty solid after-market wrap-around case.

We - his parents - naturally assumed he'd been careless... :-)

As the iPad was out of warranty and since I couldn't think of any manufacturing issue that could have caused the digi screen to crack, I just decided to buy a replacement screen and fit it myself.

This I am now in the process of doing.

After removing the broken digi screen, I discovered was that the LCD screen underneath sprang upwards on releasing the first two of its securing screws, and when I gently pushed it back into place it became clear the screen was being bent in the process of re-sitting it. I fully removed the screen and found that one of the battery packs underneath was swollen to virtually twice the thickness of the other one, and it was this that was pressing up on the back of the LCD screen causing it to bend.

I then tried a 'dry'-assembly of the parts - LCD screen followed by the new digi screen. I knew there would be an issue before I got very far; when I checked the top level of the LCD screen against the side of the iPad's metal case, it was clear it was sitting higher than the bonding ledge for the digi screen - the digi screen would not actually be able to be pressed down into place to bond it without seriously squishing the LCD screen!

There then came the realisation that the swollen battery pressing on the LCD screen must also have been pressing upwards on the digi screen - could this have contributed to it cracking? Obviously I cannot say for sure.

What are people's thoughts? Has anyone else suffered from a swollen battery (I know it's not uncommon) and, if so, has it also caused any other issues?

Thanks.

iPad Air

Posted on May 3, 2015 3:14 AM

15 replies

May 3, 2015 3:22 AM in response to CallanMac

You have already destroyed any evidence of what caused the problem by your own efforts to repair the iPad.

I think you should just write it off; it's out of warranty and you may have difficulty getting the correct battery to replace the swollen one. At the moment you are throwing good money after bad.

Insofar as whether the swollen battery could cause this, I rather doubt it, but that is a personal non technical view.

May 3, 2015 6:16 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks, 71, for your reply.

I'm not concerned about having 'destroyed any evidence' as I don't need to prove anything. We are fortunate in the UK in having consumer protection, so the 1.5 year old iPad will certainly be covered against the battery failure at least (and hats off to Apple for being upfront about UK law on their website).

All Apple need to do is look inside my son's iPad to see the evidence writ large. Very large. By more than an extra 3.5mm.

I have taken some measurements. The gap between the top of the 'normal' half of the battery and the top 'ledge' of the case where the digi screen sits is ~3.7mm - bags of room for a ~2mm-thick LCD screen.

The gap between the swollen half of the battery and this same top ledge is ~0.16mm.

User uploaded file

Try squeezing a 2mm LCD screen into a 0.16mm space.

So, Apple will undoubtedly offer to cover the battery replacement as it's a known issue and the iPad is only 1.5 years old. I am equally confident I can persuade them to acknowledge that the pressure from the faulty battery - which had increased in size by a further ~3.5mm and which squished a roomy space designed for a 2mm screen into a black hole of approx 0.16mm - must have caused considerable upwards pressure against the digi screen.

I cannot prove that the swollen battery caused the screen to crack, but I don't have to. All I need to do is present the information above for Apple to explain how it didn't.

May 3, 2015 8:46 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks all.

Happy to provide an update more quickly than I'd imagined! And it's full marks to Apple.

I called them up and, whilst a swelling battery in an iPad is very uncommon, they fully accepted that it could have led to the cracked screen due to the upward force on the LCD screen.

There was no argument, barely any discussion - they recognised the likelihood of this chain of events straight away - and are sending out a paid-for pack to collect and repair the machine free of charge.

I am genuinely impressed.

May 3, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Briansyddall

Patently not true, Brian, as they are authorising the repair without question. As they should - tho' I am impressed they did so without quibble.

I do understand what you are saying, but this is a pretty clear situation; the screen cracked without any obvious cause, and the machine was outside the 'normal' warranty. Had I known from the off that a swelling battery had been the cause, then I would obviously have contacted Apple right away and I know they'd have sorted it all under the UK's consumer laws.

However, as I could only conclude that my son had done something to the machine so it wouldn't be covered, I decided to carry out a replacement myself - only then discovering the true cause.

Apple are doing the right thing here. To be blunt, I would have taken this 'all the way' if needed; I'd have asked them to repair it, paid for the repair - adding "paid under protest" on the invoice, and then sued them using 'moneyclaim.gov'. I have no doubt whatsoever that I'd have won.

But, as I say, Apple very much impressed me today - they accepted this issue with good grace and courtesy saving me a shed-load of bother 🙂.

May 7, 2015 5:32 PM in response to CallanMac

I just wanted to add my experience at the Genius Bar today in the Apple Store at the Irvine Spectrum. I went in today to show them my weird screen issue and they said it was due to a swollen battery. I didn't even notice, but the screen was bulging out along the edge. They immediately replaced it under warranty without any question. The whole inconvenience took about 40 minutes. I have given this company a lot of money over the years, so I didn't appreciate this incident, but they pulled through. Thanks Apple!

May 26, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Tee-hee, Philly.

A further update - we have a replacement iPad, and son is delighted.

It wasn't as straight forward as we'd hoped, however. Seems like the fellow we first spoke to (including an on-line 'chat') - and who assured me it would be sorted - shouldn't have approved the repair as I'd removed the screen (so, it's as Brian above has said). When the tech department then received the screenless iPad, they went up in arms and emailed me to say 'Non!'.

It took a bit of persuading - including that of actually beginning the legal process invoking Consumer Law - before they finally checked my initial communications with them which confirmed I'd explained from the start that I'd removed the screen, and why. They therefore accepted that they should honour the first guy's decision - even tho' they maintain it's wrong...

Anyway, it's all sorted now, and I have learnt that the thing to do - regardless of whether the cause of the fault is obvious or not - is to visit a Genius Bar. Had I done that, they'd have sussed the issue right away and I'd have saved myself a lot of grief.

Phew :-)

May 27, 2015 6:06 AM in response to CallanMac

The main thing I want to stress is how careful you need to be around that battery as it is already distressed. If you've ever seen the vids of batteries rupturing and igniting they are no joke. I replaced the battery in an phone 4 and something nicked it and the battery went off. The phone was in my hand and I had to drop it on the table it became so hot instantly. Smoke, fire, my own personal firework show. Smoke alarms going off. Filled the room with smoke. Burnt the table. Fortunately I was not face down in it when it went off. So, be VERY careful. If it goes wrong you have no time to do anything about it. And that was a small battery. The battery in an ipad is huge so there is a greater risk of injury as well as a more significant chance to set the area on fire.

The phone is completely fried, burnt black, battery is swollen out and bursting. I save it to show people what can happen.

Apr 29, 2016 10:54 AM in response to CallanMac

Hi Callan,

You were lucky that Apple cared for you... May be they feared your country's laws , In india they done even give a ****!!

Same case happened to me now. All of a sudden battery has started swelling and starting pushing the screen out. Though Ipad is working fine til now.

Apple support team says bcoz battery is old so it has swollen (Wierd enough -- I think battery should die out rather swell on its own).

I took it to Apple Repair store and they say its common issue , many Apple devices have battery swelling problem even after 1-2 yrs of age. So Ipad should be replaced with other one for approx 155$ (converted from indian price). Their US website says battery replacement at 105$+ tax but here they charge heftily also.

Truly speaking they don't have any answer why should battery swell. & dont even care. So, I have decided to not replacemy ipad and will wait till if explodes. So I can hear reply from them " bcoz device is old, it may explode".

Swollen iPad Air battery caused cracked digi screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.