Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play electric guitar into Macbook Air 2014

Hi there,

I have recently become interested in playing my guitar directly into garageband to use the modelled amps and effects in Garageband itself. This hi-tech style of recording is very new to me so forgive me if this appears simple!

I have currently tried a set up where I connect my guitar into a multi fx and run it through the output using a 1/4 inch cable with a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter plugged directly into the headphones.

At present the signal from the guitar doesn't appear to be recognised by the track in garageband. I am looking for some clarity as to what I have to do...

Should I buy a USB interface to play into (and if so, which make and model would be best?) or is there something I can do to play into the Macbook Air's internal sound card?

Many thanks in advance!

Matt.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 3, 2015 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 2:59 PM

You are going to need a USB audio interface. There are so many good ones you can't go wrong with any of the newest big name interfaces. I personally like interfaces that are at least 2 in 2 out with both a ¼" and a XLR input. This way you can record instrument or mic or both at the same time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 2:59 PM in response to .MLJ.

You are going to need a USB audio interface. There are so many good ones you can't go wrong with any of the newest big name interfaces. I personally like interfaces that are at least 2 in 2 out with both a ¼" and a XLR input. This way you can record instrument or mic or both at the same time.

How to play electric guitar into Macbook Air 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.