Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-open a Macbook OSx after all content has been transferred. It won't accept passwords

How do I re-open a Macbook OSX. All the content has been transferred to new Macbook. My name and photo come up on screen but it won't accept any passwords and there are no other icons on screen

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 3, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:09 AM

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

In the menu bar, select Utilities -> Terminal. Type resetpassword in the Terminal and press Enter.

1 Select your main hard drive.

2 In the dropdown box under "Select the user account" make sure to select your username.

3 Enter new password

4 Re-enter

5 Save

At this point you can restart or do other tasks like running Repair Disk in Disk Utility or Reinstall OS X.

To Restart: Click Mac OS X Installer in the top left and click Quit Mac OS X Installer. Click the Startup Disk button. Click on your main hard drive and click the Restart button.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Anniefrow

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

In the menu bar, select Utilities -> Terminal. Type resetpassword in the Terminal and press Enter.

1 Select your main hard drive.

2 In the dropdown box under "Select the user account" make sure to select your username.

3 Enter new password

4 Re-enter

5 Save

At this point you can restart or do other tasks like running Repair Disk in Disk Utility or Reinstall OS X.

To Restart: Click Mac OS X Installer in the top left and click Quit Mac OS X Installer. Click the Startup Disk button. Click on your main hard drive and click the Restart button.

How do I re-open a Macbook OSx after all content has been transferred. It won't accept passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.