Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Airport Express to extend my wireless network and also use it for Airplay

Can I use Airport Express to extend my wireless network and also use it for Airplay

Posted on May 3, 2015 4:51 AM

6 replies

May 3, 2015 5:03 AM in response to mikemjc

Can I use Airport Express to extend my wireless network

By "extend", I assume that you mean that the AirPort Express will connect using wireless. You might not be aware that the AirPort Express can also extend a network by connecting back to the main router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

The Express will extend a network using a wireless connection......IF......the existing wireless network is being provided another Apple wireless router.....an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express.

If you are planning to use a wired Ethernet connection with the Express to extend the network, then the Express will work with virtually any third party router for this purpose.

and also use it for Airplay

For AirPlay, the Express has the capability to "join" most wireless networks, so if your existing wireless router is using standard industry wireless settings, the Express will normally be compatible with this type of network for use with AirPlay.

May 5, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob for such a quick response.

I bought Airport Express initially to plug into my old stereo (20 years old) and it works just fine with iTunes. Then I read the little book and realised that I could also extend my existing network. As I have a WiFi TV I thought I could boost the signal for a better performance and seeing Airport Express is in the same room it all looked very promising. Unfortunately it does not work and if I understand you correctly I need to get rid of my Netgear Modem Router and replace it with an Apple Modem Router to be able to extend the signal and use for Airplay at the same time.

OR HAVE I COMPLETELYUNDERSTOOD IT😝

Thanks

Mike

May 5, 2015 12:38 PM in response to mikemjc

As we said in our original reply, the AirPort Express can extend a wireless network using a wireless connection if the network is provided by another Apple router.

Another way of saying the same thing would be that if you want to extend a network with the Express, then you will need another Apple router....an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express.

The problem here is that if you add another AirPort router like an Express, you will still need a modem, since the Apple AirPorts do not have a modem on board.

In order to do what you want, you would need to keep your Netgear modem/router in place and connect one AirPort to the Netgear using a short Ethernet cable and configure that AirPort to "create a wireless network".

Then, the second AirPort Express could be configured to wirelessly extend the signal from the first AirPort.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.