Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto albums did not import to photos app

I updated to OS X 10.10.3 as suggested. This replaces iPhoto with the Photos app. The Photos app said it was adapting my iPhoto library to Photos. I have 15,700 photos. The process was very slow so I left it running.

When I returned several hours later, the Photos app was open but had no library. I was offered the 4 basic options including import. When trying to import photos, the finder window showed the old iPhoto library, but it was greyed out. How do I get my 15,700 iPhoto images into Photos?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Parallels/WinXP/Win7/MS-DOS

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:49 AM

Don't use the import panel, switch to your iPhoto Library.

• Either drag the iPhoto Library to the Photos icon in the Dock,
  • or quit Photos, then hold down the alt/options key while double clicking the Photos icon in the Dock. Select the iPhoto Library from the Library chooser panel.

Photos should have migrated your library automatically, Either it did not migrate the correct library, because your iPhoto Library could not be found or opened, or your iPhoto Library has a corruption.

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? In the default location, your Pictures folder, or on an external drive? If external drive, is the filesystem correct (MacOS Extended (Journaled)) or do you keep the library in a partition that is formatted for Windows? Is the drive locally mounted or a network volume?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 5:49 AM in response to travellerva

Don't use the import panel, switch to your iPhoto Library.

• Either drag the iPhoto Library to the Photos icon in the Dock,
  • or quit Photos, then hold down the alt/options key while double clicking the Photos icon in the Dock. Select the iPhoto Library from the Library chooser panel.

Photos should have migrated your library automatically, Either it did not migrate the correct library, because your iPhoto Library could not be found or opened, or your iPhoto Library has a corruption.

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? In the default location, your Pictures folder, or on an external drive? If external drive, is the filesystem correct (MacOS Extended (Journaled)) or do you keep the library in a partition that is formatted for Windows? Is the drive locally mounted or a network volume?

iphoto albums did not import to photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.