Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add my iPad to "My Support Profile"...

Yesterday I purchased a used iPad Air 2 from a reputable UK high street store. It comes with a 12 month warranty from them. As a side note, on the Apple warranty check page, it shows Apple warranty until December 2015.

I got the iPad home and got it set up, I linked to my Apple ID no problems. It all works fantastic.

I then proceeded to try to add the device to "my support profile". I typed in the serial number & got the following message:

"According to our records, this serial number is associated to another Apple ID. If you have more than one Apple ID, log in to My Support Profile with that Apple ID to see your other added products. Not sure if you have another Apple ID"?

What I would like to know, how much does this really matter (mainly from a security point) that my device is currently on the previous owners support profile?

Should I try to get the store to chase up the previous owner and have them remove the iPad from their support profile, or is it worth the hassle?

Thanks!

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:10 AM

9 replies

May 3, 2015 12:49 PM in response to weemax

There are no security issues that you need to worry about. The previous owner cannot access your data at all if you are concerned about that.

Obviously the last owner erased the device exactly as it should be done or you would not have been able to activate it with your Apple ID. I just think it's in your best interest to at least try to have the previous owner remove the device from his support profile.

May 5, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Demo

So I've had a good outcome 🙂

I returned to the store where I purchased the iPad & explained the situation to them. The store is CEX in the UK. The sales guy behind the counter "couldn't find" my purchase on their system as I "didn't have the serial number" with me, only the receipt which contained some other number. CEX don't give out their store phone numbers & he promised to ring me back this morning to get the serial number so he could contact the previous owner. Quickly realising I was being led a merry dance I left it at that - and there was me saying they were reputable! I guess not all high street stores are haha!

So anyway, I contacted Apple Care who could not have been more helpful. Added the iPad to my support profile in a few minutes after confirming some details. Bravo to Apple, the customer service is second to none - I had forgotten that, shame on me!

Thanks everyone for all the help & I'm glad to be posting a query which was happily resolved 🙂

Cannot add my iPad to "My Support Profile"...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.