Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud.com not uploading all my photos to my iCloud Photo Library

My Mac is too old to install Yosemite, so I set up iCloud Photos via iCloud.com. My library was prepared, but contains only a subset of my photos … more than were in PhotoStream, but far fewer than are in my library in iPhoto. What gives?

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:57 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2015 6:34 AM in response to GTobias

Hello GTobias,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Given that you do not have OS X Yosemite installed on your computer, photos from your iPhoto Library will not be uploaded to the iCloud Photo Library automatically. To learn more about iCloud Photo Library, please see the link below.

What do I need to use iCloud Photo Library?

You need an Apple ID, a device with the most recent version of iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite, and enough storage in iCloud to save your photos.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

OS X Mavericks and earlier or Windows

You can upload JPEG photos using the Photos app on iCloud.com:

1. Sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID you use for iCloud Photo Library.
  2. Click iCloud Photo Library.
  3. Click Upload.
  4. Select the photos you want to upload.
  5. Click OK.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

May 6, 2015 3:44 AM in response to GTobias

Hi GTobias, I had the same problem. Turns out (for me anyway).. it was because I used "referenced photos" in iPhoto.

ie- the iPhoto's library pointed to an actual photo in a folder on my hard drive.

In Photos if you make a smart album (File -> New Smart Album) and choose Photo is Referenced it will show you all the referenced photos you have. Odds on its the ones that are not uploading to Cloud Photo Library

If you consolidate them into the Photos library (Select then choose File -> Consolidate) they should automatically upload.

Good Luck!

iCloud.com not uploading all my photos to my iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.