Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

filling a column with integers

really, really, really basic question (which I have a feeling I've asked before, sorry!:

I'm creating a really simple spreadsheet of people and their contact details; it would be handy to have a column just going from 1;2;3;etc........to the end of the list? I've run out of buttons to try, and 'help' isn't........

george

MacBook Air, OS X 10.9.5

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:24 AM

Assuming the column with the counting integers is in column A...

each cell in column A is in a row. the rows are numbered 1 thru n where "n" is the current size of the table.

If the first row is a header row for titles and identifying the information in a column then you will start entering in row 2.

A2=row()-1

this is shorthand for .... select cell A2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=row()-1

select cell A2, copy

select cell A2 thru the end of the column, paste

Another way is to enter the counting numbers starting in cell A2 like this:

now select cells A2 thru A4

now hover the cursor over the bottom edge of the selection in the middle. a yellow dot should appear. Grab the yellow dot (click and hold), then drag down to fill as needed. This technique works for numbers, dates, week days, month names, durations, etc. My preference is that the first method I presented is better.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 12:24 AM in response to georgefrompembs

Assuming the column with the counting integers is in column A...

each cell in column A is in a row. the rows are numbered 1 thru n where "n" is the current size of the table.

If the first row is a header row for titles and identifying the information in a column then you will start entering in row 2.

A2=row()-1

this is shorthand for .... select cell A2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=row()-1

select cell A2, copy

select cell A2 thru the end of the column, paste

Another way is to enter the counting numbers starting in cell A2 like this:

now select cells A2 thru A4

now hover the cursor over the bottom edge of the selection in the middle. a yellow dot should appear. Grab the yellow dot (click and hold), then drag down to fill as needed. This technique works for numbers, dates, week days, month names, durations, etc. My preference is that the first method I presented is better.

filling a column with integers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.