Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add a new keynote slide with the same header

Hi all!

I have to prepare loads of slides for lectures. Often I have several slides in a row with the same header. Now I think there should be a way of generating a new slide with the same header as the pervious one.

Is anyone aware of such a tweak?

Thanks,

Michael

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:01 AM

11 replies

May 3, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for your reply!

I was aware of this workaround but I find it a bit unelegant... While working on such a presentation I never know how many tomes I will go on using this particular header... So when I used this workaround I found myself often with left over pre-headed slides or on front of the same problem again...

I was hoping there would be a possibility within Keynote or maybe with Applescript or Automator, but I have been unable to make this up myself...

Thanks,

Michael

May 8, 2015 12:54 PM in response to upro

It would be no gain if I'd make master slides for al of them...

A master slide is used to store the presentations theme which consist of; colour schemes, fonts, size position and colour of objects, background image, and any objects used in more than one slide repeatedly.

Text and object place holders in the slide master allow new text and images to be added or changed quickly and easily without creating the slide layout each time for every new slide.

May 8, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks. I am aware of this, but it doesn't help if you make a 250 slide presentation for university lectures... You have recurring headers for one subject, without knowing how many will follow (while writing), maybe 4, maybe 12, then next subject, again 4-12 slides etc. For tasks like thins it would be too god to be able to have a way of creating a new slide only duplicating the header of the previous one.

May 9, 2015 2:18 AM in response to upro

it doesn't help if you make a 250 slide presentation for university lectures...

You have recurring headers for one subject, without knowing how many will follow (while writing),

For tasks like thins it would be too god to be able to have a way of creating a new slide only duplicating the header of the previous one.

You have just supplied the perfect example of why you would use slide masters, obviously you haven't tried using them.

May 14, 2015 12:46 PM in response to upro

Here you go. With the kind help of Otto from iworksautomation.com:

tell application "Keynote"

tell front document

set thisTitle to the object text of the default title item of the current slide

set thisSlide to make new slide

set the object text of the default title item of thisSlide to thisTitle

end tell

end tell

This script produces a new slide with the same header of the previous one. This helps a lot when making new slides.!

How to add a new keynote slide with the same header

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.