Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac boots up but then keeps recycling booting up. No malware that I can find. Help!

My Mac Tower running 10.6.8 boots up fine but recently has started rebooting up over and over again,

No malware found, only just started happening.

Any ideas about a fix please?

thank you Marcus

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:34 AM

You could try booting from the (un-corruptible) 10.6 Installer/Utilities DVD.

If stable, that bypasses your Hard Drive and its contents.

3 replies

May 5, 2015 2:35 AM in response to bunyanth

1. Try booting in to Safe Mode by holding down the shift key when the system restarts. If the system is able to boot properly, then it is likely a third party extension or some add-on that is causing the issue.

2. If you can't boot into Safe Mode, try booting into installation disk that came with your computer or a Snow Leopard retail disk by holding Command-R at startup. If the system is able to boot properly, then it is likely a problem with the kernel extensions and you will need to reinstall your OS.

3. If the system doesn't boot into Safe Mode or into your installation disk/retail Snow Leopard disk then you probably have a hardware issue. At this point you could try resetting your PRAM and SMC to see if that resolves the issue. If not, you will need to take it in to be serviced.

OS X Yosemite: Reset your computer’s PRAM

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

my mac boots up but then keeps recycling booting up. No malware that I can find. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.