Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix issue onATV3 only, not my ATV2s

Recently I keep getting "Netflix currently not available" on my third-gen Apple TV, but not on either of my second-gen units, nor on my iPad 2. And the device that is giving me trouble has no issues with streaming iTunes, with HBO Go, or anything else. It seems entirely ATV3 and Netflix. The software is up to date with 7.x (the second gens are up to date at 6.x). I've power cycled the unit twice now. Don't know what to do other than throw it out the window. I do not believe this is a Netflix issue, nor a networking issue. Thanks for any help.

Posted on May 3, 2015 9:06 AM

13 replies

May 4, 2015 10:11 AM in response to vazandrew

Not a network issue as that device works with HBO Now, etc. It is getting to the internet just fine. Will double check the DNS setting. Was told by Apple Store employee to go to netflix.com on Safari and deactivate all devices, and then activate them all one by one. Will also try that, though it will be a bit of a pain.

May 5, 2015 8:37 AM in response to vazandrew

Do you mean other apps working on that spefic device does not rule out a network issue? That specific Apple TV can pull from HBO, can pull from local iTunes, can rent movies from the Apple Store, it just can't get to Netflix. If that is what you are saying I will start there before I deactivate all Netflix devices. Thanks.

May 10, 2015 2:10 PM in response to vazandrew

When I checked network settings it had an IP address in it, so I went to configure the network and there it said automatic. But I went ahead and reconfigured. Netflix sporadically works, its really no better or worse than before. About to throw the big red switch, deactivate all devices on Netflix.com and start again, but I really doubt this will fix it either.

May 11, 2015 12:08 PM in response to vazandrew

Network report was fine. Will drag the unit to a new location where I can get a wired connection to test that tonight, but I can't get a wire to where it currently sits. It was also suggested to me it could be network caching issue and to reboot the UVerse router and the Apple Base Station (which supplies the wireless signal) as a last resort. Having Netflix deactivate all devices did nothing to help this issue other than make me re-login through the other Apple TVs that were already working. One other interesting tidbit is the Uverse wireless TV WAP and the Apple Base Station are very close to each other and was suggested to try to move them apart as much as possible.

I'm thinking hiring an electrician to drop a few more ethernet cables throughout the house might be a better solution. Wires just seem to have fewer problems than the airwaves do. Would have done so already if it weren't for the logistics of where I want these drops to go.

May 15, 2015 6:23 AM in response to bjurasz

Rebooting the Apple TV brought Netflix back to life. I'm not going to move the unit to a location where I can test with ethernet, because sometimes the mere act of rebooting the unit makes it work again, which would happen if I moved it to get access to ethernet, so not sure what that will confirm for me. I'm resolving this because frankly I'm tired of dealing with trying to find a solution.

Jul 16, 2015 7:37 PM in response to bjurasz

Might have to re-open this issue. About 3 weeks ago I had the living room wired for ethernet in hopes of getting the Apple TV off WiFi and fixing my issue. It has not. We still (too often) have to resort to strange hacks to get Netflix to load on this Apple TV. One thing that nearly always works is to play some other content first, typically a movie trailer. It is as if we start streaming something else then all of a sudden Netflix will work. Very odd.

Sep 30, 2015 12:51 PM in response to bjurasz

I'm about to believe that Netflix is just flat not reliable on an Apple TV. I've restored all three units. All three units are ethernet hardwired. Yet we still get times when it won't connect to Netflix. Or won't start streaming. Its very hit or miss. And NOTHING ELSE on the Apple TVs has any issues. I can get to Netflix from the iMac via the browser just fine. Or the iPad. And they are all on the same network. Its all very odd.

Netflix issue onATV3 only, not my ATV2s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.