Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Warner Modem Coming and Going

For the past week strange things are occurring with my time warner ARRIS TG1672 modem and my airport extreme.

It started with the telephone and internet going out. I would reboot the modem and all worked ok. This happened every day once or twice. The reason I am posting here is that I want to rule out my airport extreme. Things that are happening:

I have multiple devices and when connected they connect to my "home" airport. However, sometimes the internet is not working on PC's and iPads except for one with a good IP address, albeit my airport says not connected to the internet. ( I am using the airport in "bridge mode") I am thinking that somehow the modem bypasses the airport (hardwired into the modem) and sends a wireless signal to one device. (don't ask me how, I am not that say!) Right now I am on the internet on my iMac, and on my iPad, however the laptop says "connected with an IP address of: 2805:e000:ad93:4800:92fd and of course I am NOT on the internet with that laptop. I have never seen this and just want to make sure that my airport isn't acting up before I call TimeWarner.

Thank you!

Helga

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 3, 2015 9:17 AM

2 replies

May 3, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Helga

I am thinking that somehow the modem bypasses the airport (hardwired into the modem) and sends a wireless signal to one device

This could only happen if your modem is also producing a separate wireless network signal with a separate name and password, and your computer was connecting to that network signal, instead of the signal from the AirPort Extreme.

Time Warner is likely going to ask you to connect your computer directly to the modem when you call them, so it would be a good idea to do this in advance. Just connnect your Mac directly to the modem for a time...a day or so..... and keep an eye on the connection.

If the Internet connection drops, then you have narrowed things down to either the modem or a wiring issue with the cable that delivers the signal to the modem or the Ethernet cable that connects from the modem to the Mac.

Use the same Ethernet cable to connect the Mac to the modem that you are using now to connect the AirPort Extreme to the modem, so you can test that cable as well. If the connection drops, try another Ethernet cable to make sure that you do not have a simple bad Ethernet cable issue between the modem and AirPort Extreme.

If everything remains stable for a day or so this way, then it would appear that the modem is fine and cabling is fine as well......and you may not need to call the cable company at all......since they will tell you that "everything looks good".

In that event, now you must change the focus your troubleshooting to the AirPort Extreme.

May 3, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Right now I pulled an enphase (solar energy monitor) cable out of my airport. The moment I did that all worked as it is supposed to. If anything goes wrong again, I'll wire directly into my iMac. I was thinking that maybe that suddenly interfered with things somehow. I know that doesn't seem to matter, but it sure seems like it. Then there is a completely different issue to work out with enphase and TimeWarner, because it started with TimeWarner for sure.

Thanks for your quick response. We'll have to wait and see.

Helga

Time Warner Modem Coming and Going

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.