Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing a partition drive size

I am using an iMac running OS X 10.8.5 with a 3TB memory disk drive.

When initially settin gup the system with the help of the Apple support team, a partition drive was established for use by iPhoto (iPhoto Disk Image.dmg) to store all the photos downloaded and accessed by the different users of the machine in one library. The size of the drive was set at 205GB and this has now been reached, such that no more photos can be downloaded.

Is it possible to extend (double) the size of the partition drive, if so how? Or, do I have to take a backup of this iPhoto library, remove (delete?) the partition drive and import the Library; if so, how do I ensure that all other users will pointing to the same/new Library location for iPhoto?

iMac, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:37 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Andrewkh

You will need to copy the data on the drive back to the large top partition.

Remove the bottom 205GB partition.

Drag the top back to the bottom.'

Apply

Select to add a partition. Set size I would error the large size. I suspect you have loads of space to spare. You might want to give it 1T.

Apply

Copy the data back to new partition.

Hold down option key when launching iPhoto and select the library on the new partition.

Option 2) Create a third partition in the top portion of the drive. It's possible you have enough room on the 3T drive to add a large third partition.

Move the data to the new partition.'

Use the original partition for other file backups.

When you upgrade to Yosemite, I doubt you'll want to use iCloud drive backup for Photos. It will cost you a fortune for a library that large. Select to save locally.

May 5, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Andrewkh

It's recommended to use Apple's Disk Utility rather than the software that comes with the drive. There was a huge issue with Western Digital drives when Mavericks was released. WD was late on updating their software and many users lost data on their drive.

Even if a drive comes formatted for a Mac, I always erase the drive in Disk Utility first.

Drive notes:

You don't have to buy a Mac formatted drive. You can format a PC drive in Disk Utility. Generally a PC drive will be cheaper than one formatted especially for a Mac.

USB 3.0 drives work on USB 2.0 but you do get 2.0 speed. If you get a new computer you'll get the bump to 3.0 speed. I don’t recommend FW. The newer computers don’t have FW ports. You would need a connector in order to use the drive on a newer computer.

USB 3.0 is 10x faster than USB 2.0

Thunderbolt is 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0.

Check the warranty when comparing. The longer the warranty the better the drive.

Locally, Best Buy seems to have the best prices. Check Amazon prices first. Most stores will match online pricing.

You can get one drive for both Time Machine and clone, but it’s recommended that you use different drives for each. If the drive dies you lose both types of backup. Time Machine needs 2X-3X the amount of space on your drive.

Changing a partition drive size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.