Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2012 wifi

I have a Late 2012 iMac that supports the N band for wifi No AC. I also have a MBA early 2015 that supports AC connections. I have my Sagemom Router / Modem that is broadcasting BOTH N @ 2.4 GHz Channel 2 and AC @ 5 GHz Channel 36. Both Bands have the same SSID but on different Channels

The iMac is connecting on the 5 GHz Channel 35 but as an N connection.

How do I force the iMac to connect to the Router / Modem on the 2.4 GHZ "N".

Any suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:58 AM

Give the two bands not the same name but a different name: you see not one name but two names in the WiFi icon in the menubar: and then you choose the 2.4GHz band on the iMac.

In the iMac you go to SystemPreferences->Network->Advanced and in the left tab Wi-Fi you drag the 2.4GHz net to the top, and the 5GHz net to the bottom of the list (or remove it with the minus sign); then OK, and Apply.

It will then automatically first connect to the 2.4GHz net.

Lex

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 7:58 AM in response to PRP_53

Give the two bands not the same name but a different name: you see not one name but two names in the WiFi icon in the menubar: and then you choose the 2.4GHz band on the iMac.

In the iMac you go to SystemPreferences->Network->Advanced and in the left tab Wi-Fi you drag the 2.4GHz net to the top, and the 5GHz net to the bottom of the list (or remove it with the minus sign); then OK, and Apply.

It will then automatically first connect to the 2.4GHz net.

Lex

iMac late 2012 wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.