Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong location

I used to live in location "A". Several months ago I have moved to location "B" on the other side of the country.

My iPhoneUser uploaded file as well as my iPad still comes up with the wrong location (A) when I take photo's or in my weather App. After some time it is correct. But sometimes the problem persists. I have tried every trick I knew but to no avail.

I use the latest iOS. I have updated my address in iCloud. A complete restart. A refresh in iMaps of the recent loctions.

Any suggetions? 😠

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:06 AM

Hans Brinker wrote:

Any suggetions? 😠

Live with it 😝

The location is gathered based on several 'services' depending on the device.

iPhones can use Wifi, cellular towers, GPS and Bluetooth.

iPads (without cellular data or GPS) can only use Wifi & Bluetooth.

The principle is… the internal radio's will do a scan & report what it can see (Wifi base stations or cellular towers etc). Then it asks Apple (or Google etc) for a location based on that info.

A Wifi scan will show the router SSID's & BSSID's (network name & MAC address). Apple probably think that your router is located at 'point A' because that is where it's database originally gathered that info. Eventually Apple will update their DB with the new details for 'point B'

Apple & Google (there are other providers too) update this DB with details from the devices that run their OS's for Apple the option is managed in 'Settings General > About > Diagnostics & usage > Automatically send' (this may be inside the Privacy settings on iOS 8?).

That toggle will allow Apple to take the data you create to use in it's DB, eventually they will get enough data to fix the location. Until then all you can do is disable wifi for locations on iOS - this forces it to use Cellular or GPS which can be more accurate, but takes more time to gather. An iPad without cellular will always be inaccurate unless you use a third party GPS receiver, it's just that wifi accuracy can make it look adequate until a router moves.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Hans Brinker

Hans Brinker wrote:

Any suggetions? 😠

Live with it 😝

The location is gathered based on several 'services' depending on the device.

iPhones can use Wifi, cellular towers, GPS and Bluetooth.

iPads (without cellular data or GPS) can only use Wifi & Bluetooth.

The principle is… the internal radio's will do a scan & report what it can see (Wifi base stations or cellular towers etc). Then it asks Apple (or Google etc) for a location based on that info.

A Wifi scan will show the router SSID's & BSSID's (network name & MAC address). Apple probably think that your router is located at 'point A' because that is where it's database originally gathered that info. Eventually Apple will update their DB with the new details for 'point B'

Apple & Google (there are other providers too) update this DB with details from the devices that run their OS's for Apple the option is managed in 'Settings General > About > Diagnostics & usage > Automatically send' (this may be inside the Privacy settings on iOS 8?).

That toggle will allow Apple to take the data you create to use in it's DB, eventually they will get enough data to fix the location. Until then all you can do is disable wifi for locations on iOS - this forces it to use Cellular or GPS which can be more accurate, but takes more time to gather. An iPad without cellular will always be inaccurate unless you use a third party GPS receiver, it's just that wifi accuracy can make it look adequate until a router moves.

Wrong location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.